R-134A being discontinued???

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i heard that as of mid-08 r-134a will have been phased out and replaced with something else......:confused:
can someone shed some light on this, as far as whats going to replace it, and when its going to all happen by?
i need to know if i should start buying bottles :laugh1

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to me, its a big scam. if you search hard enough, youll find out dupont had the patent on r12. when it was running up, all the sudden r12 was bad and we need r134. no one will actually admit it but supposedly dupont has the patent for r134. it has run up or is about to and now r134 is bad and we need to use something else. is this something else patented by dupont as well?

this is all hear say.... but would make since. big business for ya. dunno.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Freeze12 is a GOOD (widely used & accepted) R12 alternative.

I better not get going but hydrocarbon (flammable refrigerants) are not only ILLEGAL, they are DANGEROUS.:rant :rant :rant
There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with R134a, and I doubt it will ever be "phased out" like R12 was
Yes I am a certified A/C technician (which you have to be to buy refrigerant in Wisconsin) so I suppose I am biased, because I make good money doing A/C work.
But hey what do I know...

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't Freeze12 mostly propane or some other highly flammable gas? I wouldn't put that under my hood.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALTERNATIVE REFRIGERANT BLENDS

Alternative refrigerants that have been found acceptable for automotive applications or are currently being reviewed by the EPA include the following blends:

Free Zone (RB-276). Supplied by Refrigerant Gases, this blend contains 79% R-134a, 19% HCFC-142b and 2% lubricant.

Freeze 12. Supplied by Technical Chemical, this blend contains 80% R-134a and 20% HCFC-142b.

FRIGC (FR-12). Made by Intermagnetics General and marketed by Pennzoil, this blend contains 59% R-134a, 39% HCFC-124 and 2% butane.

GHG-X4 (Autofrost & McCool Chill-It). This blend is supplied by Peoples Welding Supply and contains 51% R-22, 28.5% HCFC-124, 16.5% HCFC-142b and 4% isobutane (R-600a).

GHG-HP. Also supplied by Peoples Welding Supply, this blend contains 65% R-22, 31% HCFC-142b and 4% isobutane (R-600a).

Hot Shot\Kar Kool. Supplied by ICOR, this blend contains 50% R-22, 39%

HCFC-124, 9.5% HCFC-142b and 1.5% isobutane (R-600a).

The suppliers of the alternative blends say their products typically cool better than straight R-134a in systems designed for R-12, and do not require changing the compressor oil or desiccant in some cases. Changing the desiccant to XH-7 is usually recommended if an R-12 system is converted to R-134a. The desiccant should also be replaced if a blend contains R-22 because R-22 is not compatible with XH-5 or XH-7 desiccant. The recommended desiccant in this case would be XH-9.

The suppliers of the alternative blends also insist the fractionation problem is exaggerated and do not foresee any major problems with recovering and recycling their products (recycling blends is currently illegal, but the EPA is reviewing its feasibility).

One supplier of these products say they sold several million pounds of their alternative refrigerant, so the public is accepting it.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't Freeze12 mostly propane or some other highly flammable gas? I wouldn't put that under my hood.

see the above list....and honestly if thats your concern im
surprised your not more concerned about the gallons
of gasoline that are in <gasoline engined> fuel tanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg