Rancho RS9000X Shocks

FordMastertech

Ford Guru
Reaction score
Swany said:
holy crap! OEM with 72k???? First thing I did, besides lift her, was get rid of stocky shockies.... no wonder you enjoy the ride so much now!
It really didn't ride that bad with the stock shocks but these new Rancho's are great. I still have to tow with them but I liked them on my older Ford Van when towing.
FMT

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I am not bad mouthing Rancho shock but I always feel like I should reply to rancho threads to let people know about the one downside. I installed a set of rancho 9000's including the in-cab remote and they worked great. The ride was great and the adjust-ability was wonderful. The problem is that after a typical Alaska winter(-40 to -60)all the oil ran out of them. In a climate where the temperature does not stay in the double - digits for weeks at a time the ranchos are a great shock but the seals will not stand up to cold weather.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Crumm said:
Let me start by saying that I am not bad mouthing Rancho shock but I always feel like I should reply to rancho threads to let people know about the one downside. I installed a set of rancho 9000's including the in-cab remote and they worked great. The ride was great and the adjust-ability was wonderful. The problem is that after a typical Alaska winter(-40 to -60)all the oil ran out of them. In a climate where the temperature does not stay in the double - digits for weeks at a time the ranchos are a great shock but the seals will not stand up to cold weather.
We're you able to do a warranty claim on the shocks since they went south?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I could have and maybe still can since they are out back but I have never gotten around to it. I took them to the place where I bought them but they said I needed to deal directly with Rancho and I just didn't do it.
By the way the factory Ford shocks don't last long in the cold either. I have hauled superdutys up to the north slope and had oil running out of the shocks when I got there while they were still on the trailer with 0 miles on the odometer.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Crumm said:
I could have and maybe still can since they are out back but I have never gotten around to it. I took them to the place where I bought them but they said I needed to deal directly with Rancho and I just didn't do it.
By the way the factory Ford shocks don't last long in the cold either. I have hauled superdutys up to the north slope and had oil running out of the shocks when I got there while they were still on the trailer with 0 miles on the odometer.
Which shocks actually can withstand the harsh conditions up in your area that don't leak down?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I have tried stock, NAPA, Rancho, Skyjacker, Trailmaster and Revtek. All of them but the Trailmaster SSV leak in the cold. I had a set on a 95' Bronco for three years and they were still holding when I sold it and I have had them on my 96' since 3-28-03 and they are still holding. The Revtek's on the Excursion are not leaking as bad as the others did but they are a little wet around the seals. I will probably replace them with SSV's before long or I might try a set of Bilstiens to see how they do. I have heard that there are only a few shock manufactures in the US that sell shocks to all the different brand names but I don't know who makes which shocks I just know which ones blow in the cold. As long as you live where it doesn't get real cold the Rancho's are great. I really liked them the first summer I had them.

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How cold is cold? Minnesota & Canada can see -40 to -55. Are cold temps and higher elevations the culprit? I'm glad you chimed in here because I'd hate to be swapping shocks every winter, even under warranty.

Thanks,
Dennis

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
We see -60 once in a while but -40 for weeks at a time. I don't know exactly what temperature they will take but I doubt the seals would hold up at -40 for any length of time.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
We see -60 once in a while but -40 for weeks at a time. I don't know exactly what temperature they will take but I doubt the seals would hold up at -40 for any length of time.

WOW - heck with the shocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd start to leak after a DAY of those temps :eek:

reckon that's the reason I turned down that nice job offer from Lincoln National Life a few years back - when they took me on a housing review... just cuz EVERY garage there had snowmobiles in them I balked :D

My 9000's are great - wanted the in cab controller, but have heard they bleed down with it more than I'd want to bother with...

but I must be a pansie - I like mine set @ 1 all around when unloaded... and the air pressure in the tires higher..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58