really bad miss

boatin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
this my first post , so go easy on me. My 96 F250 CC started missing REALLY bad. No power but it doesn't stall. I just changed the fuel filter and cleaned the screen but that did't help.............. Please help :confused:

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
First off Welcome.........

Now on to the problem at hand........remove the oil filler cap and take a good sniff, if it smells like burnt wiring then your problem is a wiring harness under the valve cover that supplies voltage to the injectors and glow plugs.

Look in the WIKI (link at top right) for part numbers, I believe they are under Valve Cover Harness.

If you have an IR thermometer you can check the temps on the exhaust manifolds and see which side is not firing.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Either a dead injector or you have a burnt valve cover harness, which supplies the electrical signal to fire your injectors.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Thanks Mike........and you guys didn't think I was paying attention :thumbs

boatin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok , I put a scanner on it and first code I got was
P0237 Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit Low

then did a injector buzz test and got
P0273 Cylinder 5 Injector Circuit Low

the oil does have a burnt smell to it

boatin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was just surfin and found this...............If the ICP reading goes above 1600 within the first thirty seconds of testing there could be a cracked pickup tube or missing seal. My pressure is 2350 @ 2500rpm
??????

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
boatin said:
ok , I put a scanner on it and first code I got was
P0237 Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit Low

then did a injector buzz test and got
P0273 Cylinder 5 Injector Circuit Low

the oil does have a burnt smell to it

I'm betting this is your problem, if you look on the top site of the valve covers you will see a plug like the one in the photo below, disregard the "oilspout" text, its just an old file photo. But you can unplug the connector and see of there is any burnt pins, there are two connectors per valve cover, four total. If you find a burnt pin there is a kit you can purchase to repair the problem.
OILSPOUT.jpg

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going with the masses w/ the inector wiring harness usually it's a result of a bad glowplug that has damaged the harness. there is also the possibility that it's an internal problem but unlikely since you said that you could smell burnt smell to the oil.

The other possiblity is an IPR problem but I'd investigate the injectors first.

boatin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
BJS said:
I'm going with the masses w/ the inector wiring harness usually it's a result of a bad glowplug that has damaged the harness. there is also the possibility that it's an internal problem but unlikely since you said that you could smell burnt smell to the oil.

Thank guys , Just chesked the injector harness and cyl#5 was burnt. all the others looked good :thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14