Rear diff or trans problem

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
which side of the boot did you take loose? the one closer to the front or the rear of the truck? as far as the ujoint goes...and yes im a total newb at this...is it under the boot or just in front of it?

do you just unbolt it? one side? Just looking for a little more clarity.

Great writeup! The pics have got me going in the right direction!:sweet

I took just the one side closer to the u-joint (I say that in case you have a 4x4). Jourdan you can see the u-joint in my 4th pic to the left of my hand. Or its the part (or front of) the yoke that is resting on the ground in my third pic. In that same pic you can see two little "clamps" with four screws, those are the four screws that you undo on that u-joint to remove the yoke from the drive line.

Its called a universal joint, but I think it would be better called a X-joint or a +joint. When you crawl under you will see your boot and right in front (or behind if your doing the front drive shaft) will be this u-joint take a 8mm wrench and remove the two clamps (there is only two) and then stick your large screw driver or pry bar and then separate the two sections of drive shaft and wala:sweet

JRJ04

Reaction score
k im gonna have to get under there and look at this again...

Do you grease the part thats laying on the ground or do you grease the part that is on the truck still (in other words the male or the female end)?

What kind of grease did you end up using? Yea I do have a 4wheel drive too so i guess I would need to do both parts or moreso just the back one?

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
id just do the rear one to start and see if the buck goes away like it did for me. I greased the male end, and I used the ford grease that you can buy at auto zone. Also I rubbed it in good into the splines and did not use to much.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
5th pic, test drive across the border for some good beer, and I cannot belive that this tiny amount of grease can do that.

I notice you didn't invite any of your friends (us) to help you in this project, nor to help you drink that keg of Heiniken... :rant

JRJ04

Reaction score
yea bama, ive got a little bucking but moreso a vibration and groaning sound from time to time. im hoping this will fix it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14