Rear diff or trans problem

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Whenever I let of the throttle and then back on the truck seems to buck. It feels like the the entire driveline is disengaging and then re-engaging very harshly. I do have some rotational play in the rear pinion so any advice on how much is acceptable would be appreciated.

Scott

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I think the first think I'd do is pull the driveshaft, clean and lube the slip yoke with Lubri-Plate

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I assume their bearing and chassis grease?

Since I am under the truck, how much rotational play should I have in the rear pinion?

Last edited:

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the first think I'd do is pull the driveshaft, clean and lube the slip yoke with Lubri-Plate

I can guarantee with 98% certainty that your slip yoke needs lube. I did mine with regular run of the mill bearing grease almost 70k miles ago. I havent had a problem since.

One thing, make sure you have your parking brake on and the tires chocked. Thats a lesson I will never forget.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I assume their bearing and chassis grease?

Since I am under the truck, how much rotational play should I have in the rear pinion?

if you're talking backlash in the gears, you'll have some.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
cool. i tried posting about this earlier in the year. please let us know what you find. mine bucks like crazy!!!

JRJ04

Reaction score
wasnt there a write-up in another post somewhere that showed how to do it with pics? I feel like this might be something mine needs too.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Hi Scott, hope all is well with you....

on Mine I have about 2-3 min worth of play... been that way since I've had the Truck... I'm now a little over 225 K. I agree with the slip yoke lube, I think the grease acts like a "Shock" absorber so the slop is less harsh.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Greased both front and rear slip yokes. Both were pretty dry but not frozen. I will find out Monday during my commute if this fixed the problem. Only had about 3 degrees of play on the pinion.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Greased both front and rear slip yokes. Both were pretty dry but not frozen. I will find out Monday during my commute if this fixed the problem. Only had about 3 degrees of play on the pinion.

I think you'll find you've fixed it. :clap:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg