Rear Differential Fill Plug

BLUKTY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Okay, I give up!! -mad I am in the process of changing my transfer case, front differential and rear differential lube to Amsoil lubricants. I was able to change the transfer case and front differential without a problem, but I cannot find the proper tool to remove the rear differential fill plug. It sure looks like a torx bolt, but a torx 50 is too small and a torx 55 is too big!!! Do any of you Powerstroke guru's know what size torx this plug is?? Or is it not a torx at all, but something entirely different :dunno ????? Thanks in advance for any help, I had no idea that this would be such a complicated process :( ! Pete

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
a 3/8 ratchet should fit unless it was changedat some point to an allen plug

BLUKTY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
a 3/8 ratchet should fit unless it was changedat some point to an allen plug

Then perhaps I have an allen plug, but it looks too "star" shaped to be an allen plug. I have had the fluid changed three times over the years at "quick change" places so perhaps one of those places pulled a fast one on me! I was wondering if this was a "special" Ford plug that requires a "special " Ford tool. Thanks for the replies so far, any more ideas:dunno ?? Pete

BLUKTY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Sounds like someone slipped a Torx plug in there on you?

That is EXACTLY what I think! But a 50 is too small and a 55 is too big. I'm not aware that torx bolts came in odd sizes (51, 52, 53, etc.). I am going to head down to the last place that changed the fluid, perhaps they can help me out. Thanks again for the replies! Pete

BLUKTY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Rich (94f450sd) gets the gold star on this one. One of the quick change places replaced the factory 3/8 square plug with a 3/8 allen. Thanks for the help, gang! Pete

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14