Recent 6.0 observations

motorhead440

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 Excursion purchased 12/10/05 with about 4 k miles. Its my first Ford diesel and after driving it a bit I'd thought I'd offer afew positive and negative observations.

I recently completed a run from South Miami to Northern Va and back . 1055 miles each way, on I95 using the same service stations , filling the tank in the same manner. On the way up the truck was totally stock and averaged 15.4 mpg running consistently 78 - 80 mph. Wile in Virginia, I changed the oil at 2500 miles to Rotella T and I also noticed the factory oil seemed nasty and flowed like water. On the return trip the EGR was unplugged and I averaged 17.7 mpg :) running consistently 78 - 80 mph. Granted, this is not what one would call a controlled scientific study but its good enough to convince me. Now I need to find someone in South Miami to turn off my check engine light.

I still have the "hanging oil drop" on my bellhousing -popcorn . I pulled the rubber inspection plug and its dry inside. Guess a trip to the dealer is in my future. I'll likely just have it documented and defer having the motor pulled till a later date.

Nitpicking and comparing: The overhead console is WORTHLESS my 01 Dodge overhead is more informative. The seat heaters are low quality. They only work intermittently , they dont reset to off after the truck is shut off , they only have one setting and the switches should be somewhere on the dash where they can be seen. Again the Dodge is better. Why is this truck sold with NO rear swaybar ??? :eek: My Helwig just came in (missing parts -mad ) and I'll install this week. No underhood light or hood insulation :( talk about scrimping to save a nickle !!!

My next test will be a 170 degree thermostat. After some light internet research, seems the only choices for stats are 195 and 170 . I really wanted a 180 but I'll test with the 170 and post my observations sometime in the near future.

I love the power and manners of the 6.0 / torqshift combo no performance complaints here. Overall I feel just ok about my $47k purchase :sweet . I do hope Ford pays closer attention to things in the future.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
Yeah I usually skip an american car if I was worried about heated seats and quality of leather

I leave that to lexus my friend...

CHPMustang

Reaction score
motorhead440 said:
Why is this truck sold with NO rear swaybar ??? :eek: My Helwig just came in (missing parts -mad )
The rear swaybars we're installed only if they were available at the production line but only after all the SuperDuty truck orders got em first then any leftovers the Excursions got which is why some got em and others did not:rolleyes:

Which parts was missing from you Hellwig kit as this isn't the first time I've heard this.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
The rear swaybars we're installed only if they were available at the production line but only after all the SuperDuty truck orders got em first then any leftovers the Excursions got which is why some got em and others did not:rolleyes:

QUOTE]

doesnt that seem weird... the ex is billed as the luxury suv that can pull a house. you would think parts would go the other way, i mean we drive just trucks, thats the mentality
look how long it took to get adjustable pedals, which is great fro us. my wife is just 5.0 feet tall and me being 6'3 makes for quite a large seat adjustment

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just goes to show, the ole,
"trash to one, treasure to another" adage is true !!! :)

This is our third Ex and the first that the seat heaters stay on across start cycles.... and MY WIFE LOVES IT !!!!

the first two Ex's would turn off after 10 minutes or when key turned off....

Still the best all around vehicle out there as far as we are concerned !!!

Dodge doesn't have anything close to it :)

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I really want my wife to get an ex, but i did see a 2002 short box 250 4x4 this morning still with factory tires. going to stop this afternoon and see her up close.

according to the safety folks fullsize pickups are safer for children and grand kids....

i bet this analysis didnt include the ex or the F350/250

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
motorhead440 said:
My next test will be a 170 degree thermostat. After some light internet research, seems the only choices for stats are 195 and 170 .
About my only observation with the 6.0 is that they blow by my 7.3 like I am tied to a stump. I am wondering why you would want a cooler thermostat? The 7.3 guys myself included like the 203 stat in our trucks rather than the 195. Diesels like to run hot for best economy and performance not to mention the heater works better. Is the 6.0 a different creature that likes to run cold?

_CH_

Nautiques Freak
Reaction score
motorhead440 said:
Nitpicking and comparing: The overhead console is WORTHLESS my 01 Dodge overhead is more informative. The seat heaters are low quality. They only work intermittently , they dont reset to off after the truck is shut off , they only have one setting and the switches should be somewhere on the dash where they can be seen. Again the Dodge is better. Why is this truck sold with NO rear swaybar ??? :eek: My Helwig just came in (missing parts -mad ) and I'll install this week. No underhood light or hood insulation :( talk about scrimping to save a nickle !!!

• yup overhead is known for being WAY off on MPG.
  • as was said, im not a fan of leather quality or seat heaters, then again im not a fan of em on the afore mentioned lexus either. they just cant hang w/ BMW.
  • they used to have the insulation and hood light. also used to have glovebox light, and door lights....and wheel well liners in the rear. anything they can do to save a buck :cussing:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
_CH_ said:
they used to have the insulation and hood light. also used to have glovebox light, and door lights....and wheel well liners in the rear. anything they can do to save a buck :cussing:
Now they don't have a hood to put the insulation under, they don't have a glove-box to put a light in, the don't have doors to put a light on and they don't have wheel wells to put liners in. Reason being, No More Excursions are being built:(

Merelind

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
From Dieselmann's page.:sweet

Rear Main Seal Leak:
Some trucks with the 6.0 may exhibit what looks like an oil leak from the bellhousing, presumably for the rear main seal. This actually may be excessive grease from the torque converter pilot melting and runing out of the bellhousing. It is recommended that 3 ounces of florescent dye be added to the oil, the truck driven, then the leak inspected with an UV lamp. If dye is detected, the engine should be inspected for leaks on top that may be running down the back of the engine. If no upper leaks are detected, replace the rear main seal. Broadcast Message 1017

My truck had the same droplet from the bellhousing and I had it dye checked with no leaks found. After clean up it has not returned in 3,000 miles.

Mark:thumbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58