Recent 6.0 observations

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Crumm, you are correct in that the 6.0's like 203° stats. I don't know of any reason why you would use a 170° or a 195° stat. Running a diesel cooler is not good for it, incomplete combustion.

Dave

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Thats what I always thought but this 6.0 stuff is new to me. motorhead get a 203, don't waste your time with a 170.

motorhead440

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Please dont get me wrong ....

I'm not bashing my Excursion and its not my intent to put anyone on the defensive and yes , Dodge does not have any vehicle that compares or shall we say compared. But the Dodge heated seats are better IMHO. I certainly hope we are not suggesting purchasing and installing Lexus seats into my 47 thousand dollar truck as a solution. I would rather Ford to have simply subbed to the same seat heater vendor as Dodge. I do agree that my source of irritation may be someone else's source of pleasure. As for the hanging drop, well it is motor oil and I wipe the area clean, daily. I'm hoping it magically clears up by saaaayy 15k miles. Maybe its a Florida thing .....hanging chad ...hanging drip ......get it :roflmao !! Ok, not funny :oops: Again , I'm just voicing my anal nitpicks to this illustrious forum and don't mean to offend anyone. I do like the Excursion and I am enjoying the 6.0.

As for the thermostat, well I'm also bull headed , you gotta show me. A 180 Worked great on my 01' Cummins, picked up mpg and come to find out its what Cummins recommends. Dodge has the 198 installed for emissions purposes. Hmmmm ..... well your advice is duly noted and I will provide honest ( likely non-scientific ) feedback on my results. Thanks guys, please keep the advice , first hand experience and observations flowing. I do listen.

_CH_

Nautiques Freak
Reaction score
let me guess.... its hanging off the starter and dripping down onto the b/h?

for the hanging drip there are a couple other areas to check as well:

look @ all your CAC boots
check out the glow plug bus bars
between the upper/lower oil pan / bed plate area

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
motorhead440 said:
As for the thermostat, well I'm also bull headed your advice is duly noted and I will provide honest ( likely non-scientific ) feedback on my results.
It will be very interesting to see what that 170 stat does. I know up here in Alaska a 170 stat would cause frostbite but down there I don't know. Be sure to let us know how it works out:sweet

Reaction score
Bell house leak - this may just the assembly grease that is running down. I wouldn't worry to much about it until you have more mileage.

Leather seats = King Ranch :sweet

EGR - some do run pretty good without them, some don't. Mine runs like crap with it unplugged. Keep in mind though that it's tied into your computer - which is looking for that info.

Glad to read that you made up here to the land of 30 mile long traffic jams and back with no ill effects :D

Ron

Weweld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
It will be very interesting to see what that 170 stat does. I know up here in Alaska a 170 stat would cause frostbite but down there I don't know. Be sure to let us know how it works out:sweet

I might try the 170 stat as well , with the big injectors we are seeing a lot higher temps all the time with the temps peaking at about 260 degrees.

Who carries the 170 stat ??

GENE

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Weweld said:
I might try the 170 stat as well , with the big injectors we are seeing a lot higher temps all the time with the temps peaking at about 260 degrees.

GENE
Gene,

Will a 170° stat keep you cooler? At 260° your current stat must be all the way open right? Sounds like a radiator issue no?

motorhead440

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Weweld said:

GENE

Advance Auto parts , Prestone 775170 or 777170 , if they don't stock it then they can order it and get it in a day. Seems Ford is not all that concerned about combustion temps as they cool the EGR prior to circulating back in the combustion chamber in order to "cool the combustion process" thereby lowering NOX. I'm hoping for lower engine oil temps, less heat soak of underhood components and to a smaller degree lower tranny fluid temps all for ...$15 bucks. I know , I know , these issues can be and have been debated ad nauseum -popcorn . The engine oil cooler on the 6.0 is located in the engine correct? The engine oil is pressurized to 3000 psi to operate the injectors correct? I don't know about you folks but when I did my first oil change with a warm motor , the oil came out like water . Just didn't seem right to my instincts. So we'll see, and I promise I'll tell you honestly what I think about it. :thumbs . Now common sense say's if you live in the friggin frozen tundra up north , this may not be a good idea, but I live in south Miami :thumbs and have little concern about cold weather except when I visit the land of 30 mile traffic jams in northern Virginia :eek: .

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I beleive the HPOP pressurizes the oil to about 27,000 psi for the injectors. That is some pressure to get them to spray properly.

Dave :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58