recycling internal parts morality

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
what do you folks think of a venture that would recycle implants from persons that have passed away?
titanium joints, etc.
harvest them like the organ donor program, except most would not be a direct fit so they would need to be melted down or reformed.

most knee joints are three piece units and the joints are resurface-able as are most hip joints.

yes i am about 20 years ahead of the curve....but its not that far fetched. wouldn't be a get rich scheme, just a similar program like corneas

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do beleive that I have heard of this already

or maybe it was a repo for someone who didn't pay ? lol

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea. I have both knees replaced and I'm not sure what they are worth but I know it is several thousand dollars. It does seem a shame we don't give them to another if we are not going to use them anymore. I don't think any of my biological parts will be of any use to anyone but the knees would make a great gift to someone.
It is true that one size does not fit all but if the joint went into a bank somewhere, I'm sure that there would be a need for all sizes. ;tu
Jim

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Zmann sez, I think thats already being done.. when Cremation is the choice ?

I think it would, or should, fall right in there with the Organ Donor choices ? Don't know if it could be mandatory though.

Joe

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see I spelled cremation wrong the first time

I was thinking the word creamation was gross lol

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I wasn't sure about the after cremation part, exposing the parts to the high heat needed to to turn bone to ash, could have some issues for the titanium or stainless steel and exotic metals now being used
I had searched some of the usual suspects in organ donor realms and found sparse and limited information.
I would imagine some would feel ODD about discussing it.
But the main fact remains we need to discuss it with the prospective donor prior to the event that takes them from our midst.

a bank of "gifts" would have to be run like organ donation. I was thinking more of a list of gifts....to coordinate with organ banks, you know one more line for inventory so to speak

I appreciate the honest answers
you us retirees are always looking for interesting ventures to be involved

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't imply to recycle the ones from cremation ,, just that I had seen them before in an expo

as far as the donor items ,, figure the cost of tracking, retrieval , sterilization , returning the corpse to open casket viewing condition if need be,

all of that may exceed the price of the original part

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14