Regular Unleaded put in my diesel.. help

pcleez

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
There is a diesel tech down the street for me. I ended up just bringing it there, because after speaking to the Powerstroke guy from that site he recommended I not try to do it myself as the 6.4's injection system is a "b$%ch" in his opinion. I ended up being around $500 to get the whole system cleaned out.. a lot better than the $1700 my dealer wanted. Also, the dealer wanted $300 for the fuel filters, I went to THEIR parts dept and got them for $75. For the pair.

So anyway, I got it up and running, all was good, and then Saturday night at 3 am it stalls out on me. Didn't get home until 6 after hitching a ride with the tow truck. Bought it back to the diesel tech place and they found a software issue (something with the EGR) that was fixed for $85. Apparently now it's back up and running, going to get it tomorrow. If anything else happens I'm bringing it to the dealer (a different one than the one who knows I put regular in it). Since the dealer never saw the truck they (hopefully) never put it in the system. Apparently, according to Powerstroke and my Diesel Tech, if you put regular in these trucks it voids the warranty on the whole fuel system (pump, injectors, etc.) So if one of those things goes out now, hopefully the warranty will cover it.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
welp,
here's what I would do..

kick your brother's ass for being a moron..
In defense of his brother, the person or persons who should have a size 12 boot inserted firmly up their alimentary canal are those marketing "geniuses" at BP who insist on putting green covers on regular gasoline fuel nozzles, to show how in tune with mother nature they are. EVERY other fuel place I go to, green handle means diesel. If the wifoid borrows the truck, she has strict instructions NOT to refuel at BP.

The local dealership does a booming business flushing out fuel systems because "Beyond Petroleum" wants to make a social statement. :rant

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
There is a diesel tech down the street for me....blah, blah, blay...he recommended I not try to do it myself as the 6.4's injection system is a "b$%ch"...blah, blah, blah...

So anyway, I got it up and running, blah, blah, blah...If anything else happens I'm bringing it to the dealer (a different one than the one who knows I put regular in it)...blah, blah, blah... hopefully the warranty will cover it.

Now before anyone goes and calls me a jerk for pointing this little "slip" out, let me get up off the floor!

:roflmao

So maybe the :nutkick: isn't for the "brother?"

pcleez

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So problems again, of course with another family member driving (and yes I know i said *I* put regular in it below, my bad but it WAS my brother, lol)

My Dad had the truck to go pick up some lumber and it started getting low on fuel. He says it said 25 til empty as he was on his way to a gas station and the trucks stalls out. He figures it ran out of gas, got a can from the gas station and put about 2 gallons in there. Starts for a second, then dies again.

I get it towed to my dealer and they say it must have ran out of gas, and the air in the lines prevented it from starting back up. To me that sounds like bull and it sounds like the fuel pump is going after being badly abused from all the past crap (reason #28 for not letting family drive your vehicles).

I obviously can't (and have not) told them there was ever regular gas in the truck. So how do I go about claiming it's the fuel pump and having them look at that? Or am I off on that and it could very well be the truck ran out of gas (but if it did why did it say it had a 25 mile range)?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If you run out of FUEL, you will get air in the fuel lines. This will make it very hard to start. It is NOT a load of bull. Learn from your mistakes and listen to those who know.

Dave

pcleez

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Why would it say it had 25 miles til empty and then run out of gas? If it was completely out of fuel, yes, obviously air could be in the lines, but shouldn't 25 til E mean it has at least a gallon and a half in the tank?

Not sure how that applies to "learning from my mistakes." This is the same dealership that was going to charge me $1400 for something I had fixed for $400. Kinda explains the lack of trust.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The device that told you that you have 25 miles before you run out, is called a Lie-O-Meter. They are not accurate at all.

Dave

pcleez

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
and beat your Dad's ass for being a cheap dink...

Ha so far I have to beat my Dad's ass and my Brother's. Like I said, this truck is a great example of why you shouldn't loan your vehicle to family.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58