Regular Unleaded put in my diesel.. help

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need the sticker ......."Yes it's my truck , no you can't borrow it" lol . Idon't ever loan my truck . I will drive you anywhere in it to get about anything but you may not borrow it .

pcleez

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You need the sticker ......."Yes it's my truck , no you can't borrow it" lol . Idon't ever loan my truck . I will drive you anywhere in it to get about anything but you may not borrow it .

Lol I'll work on that. No doubt, my brother has been banned from the truck, and from driving anyone in the family's car. Not that he'd want to after all the crap we've given him now. My Dad gets a free pass, it had under a 1/4 tank of gas when I gave him the keys so it's partially my fault.

But I got it back today, they cleared out the lines and it's running just fine. We'll see, I guess from now on I'll fill it up before the "lie-o-meter" even turns on.

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've gotta remember that 1.5gallons in a tank that size doesn't leave a lot of fuel covering the pump so add to that fuel moving around in the tank and you end up sucking air into the lines I did that one time in the first year I owned mine too but I was able to shut it off and fill up before it caused a problem.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I have never been able to figure out why anyone would want to run a vehicle under a 1/4 of a tank. Do they get better mileage when running on empty. I never take a chance on it going to empty with all the problems that can arise from running it till empty. Its good, in Michigan, to have the tank closer to full to help eliminate condensation forming in the tank. I look at the gauge and think that the 1/4 mark is Empty. Unless the gauge is broken, you are safe.
I would think that with the tank closer to full, one would feel less likely to have the need to refuel and less probability of putting gas in it.
Jim

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I routinely fill up when the low fuel light comes on. I would go crazy filling up at 1/4 tank all the time, would spend waaay too much time at the pump and not out on the road. I generally put 29-30 gallons in my tank every fillup. Say I fillup 50 times a year. If i did 24 gallons instead of 30, that would be 62 fillups!

I did a 1000 mile Texas road trip last week, left on a full tank, and then at my first fillup the light came on while waiting for a spot at the pump, and my second fillup the light came on when I was on the off ramp to the filling station. I don't get nervous easy I guess....

I picked up a auxillary diesel tank the other day, need to put that in soon, will really cut down on fillups.

As to the original poster, pcleez, it would help if you called it diesel or at least fuel instead of gas all the time, like you do in your posts, perhaps it would help eliminate confusion amongst your family members as well. The way I read it your dad also put 2 gallons of gasoline in the tank, but turns out it was diesel like it needed to be....

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never been able to figure out why anyone would want to run a vehicle under a 1/4 of a tank. Do they get better mileage when running on empty. I never take a chance on it going to empty with all the problems that can arise from running it till empty. Its good, in Michigan, to have the tank closer to full to help eliminate condensation forming in the tank. I look at the gauge and think that the 1/4 mark is Empty. Unless the gauge is broken, you are safe.
I would think that with the tank closer to full, one would feel less likely to have the need to refuel and less probability of putting gas in it.
Jim

I agree JimmyDee. I keep mine about half full in most instances and never below 1/4 full.

Dave

X3

I rarely Ever let mine get below 1/2 a tank. It's just good "Fuel System Insurance", with a Diesel engine.. IMO.

On the road, 5r in tow, every 250+ miles, a Top Off (with a jug of 2 cycle oil)and a good Leg Stretch/Pee Call (Dog too)... 'round town.. every 350 miles (oil too) seems to have kept any Fuel Gremlins away.. in the 160K, racked up, so far ?

:dunno

Joe

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you need to forget that three letter word gas as long as you have this truck. It's Diesel or Diesel Fuel. ONLY.... LOL
Good luck with your family, you will always need them and Dads pass on way to soon so hang on to him as long as you can.
Doug

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58