Remote Start

Super 05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which is the best system or is there a system that lets you use the factory key fobs to start?

gunnar

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I went with the Ford remote start. It was the about the same price as the aftermarket ones, and uses a Ford fob. The deal breaker for me was that I get the same 3 year, 60,000 km warranty where as the aftermarket ones only gave you one year.

Max Power

Reaction score
Ford is one of the worst ones on the market (sorry).

Astro start is one of the best if not the best. www.astroflex.com

DEI makes decent stuff but I don't like them becaues they use external relays amoung other reasons which I won't get into.

kusto

Frozen PSD
Reaction score
Max Power said:
Ford is one of the worst ones on the market (sorry).

Astro start is one of the best if not the best. www.astroflex.com

DEI makes decent stuff but I don't like them becaues they use external relays amoung other reasons which I won't get into.

I have to agree:hail , had the dealer install the Ford remote start. Had it in for a week and then took it back for a full refund.-mad It had a real short range, no indication if the signal got to the truck to start it and had to be able to see the truck to know it was running.:roflmao It was a real joke. I got an Arctic Start with two way remote and 3000' range. I can also add the alarm at a later date to the same system.:sweet

gunnar

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well thats not good. I however had not had any problems with the Ford one, and the range is outstanding. Two way remote may be nice to let you know it's running, but I can start my truck from within my locker room at work and without fail it's running when I get outside. I'm happy with mine and have peace of mind with the warranty.

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After doing some looking at these things, I still have two questions. It looks like they wire these things all up into the computer of the truck. Is that how it knows to wait until the glow plug light is off? I'm sure it knows how to do it but the webpage didn't provide the answer. I also might have missed the part stating if you could set the duration time for how long it will turn the engine until it decides its not going to start and how many tries it will give it?

Max Power

Reaction score
Most of the wiring is done at the ignition switch. You get a tach wire under the dash, park light wires at the headlight switch, brakes at the brake switch etc.

On an 06 you either need to go into the cluster to get the wait to start light (Bad idea for a novice) or go to the glow plugs directly. The other option is you can just use a timer but I don't care for that myself.

bad_bad_bubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the ones that I have looked at for diesels, you are able to set a timer that should give enough time for the glow plugs to do their thing before it tries to turn the engine over.

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have been very satisfied with the Ford remotes..went with an aftermarket on our first Explorer and had several visits to the install shop to get satisfactory service. Our 03 Explorer and 06 F350 both have the Ford units; both have operated flawlessly so far

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58