Replacement Air Filter

Black06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New to the forum, and enjoy reading the posts - thanks.
Question pertains to a 2006 6.0L Diesel

National part stores not yet listing a K&N or Airaid direct replacement air filter. Any suggestions on a brand, part #, contact ?

Thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of the aftermarket air filters. Ford (Donaldson) filters work quite well and they breath well. I get mine at www.filter1.com . They are only one of the people who have good prices on replacement filters . Welcome to SDD, nice to have you.

Dave :)

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Like Dave said, the Ford (Donaldson) filter is a good filter, I am using the WIX filters, Oil, Air, Fuel and get them from fleetfilter.com at a good price.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black06 and Powerstrokeit. :sweet I would like to say Welcome :thumbs :thumbs You are at the right place. I too would stay with the stock filter on an 06 PowerStroke.

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still running the stock filter at 53k and I am due a change. I am looking at aftermarket filters for a couple of reasons. The first would be the cost of a new stock filter and the second would be because of how much of a pain it is to just check it. How many miles are the Donaldson filters good for? Say I spend $300 and never have to change again versus $75 a pop and deal with the hassle (4 stock filters or 1 aftermarket?). Why does everyone knock the aftermarket filters? What does the Donaldson filter down to?

Thanks
Scott

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
Black06,

We have the AFE Pro Guard 7 elements that reuse the stock black plastic housing. It's the best alternative to a Stage I or Stage II intake system. Call us if you have any questions we'll be glad to help you.

Mark @ DPPI

Reaction score
rsjohnsn said:
I am still running the stock filter at 53k and I am due a change. I am looking at aftermarket filters for a couple of reasons. The first would be the cost of a new stock filter and the second would be because of how much of a pain it is to just check it. How many miles are the Donaldson filters good for? Say I spend $300 and never have to change again versus $75 a pop and deal with the hassle (4 stock filters or 1 aftermarket?). Why does everyone knock the aftermarket filters? What does the Donaldson filter down to?

Thanks
Scott

How long is it going to take you to recoup that $300 bucks? And don't most of them take a special cleaner and then need to be oiled? Add that to the cost also. For you - using the $75 a pop number - you would have to travel at least 200K before you even start to see a savings. Your at 53K on an 04 - so that's a bout 25K a year. So it's going to be maybe another 8 years before you recoup any savings on that $300 (plus cleaners and oil).

$75 I think is a high price to pay - I bought 2 filters last year - stock Ford Donaldson blue media - for $37.16. So I'm sure that if you look hard enough the deals are out there. Add to the fact that eventually the prices will come down.

So let's say you find them at $50 bucks - at your rate of travel and mileage on the filters that's six filters now and up to $300K and 12 years before you again start to break even.

As for the micron rating of the Donaldson - hell I can't remember - have it around here somewhere - but it's better than any other out there. Sure - the others may flow a tad better - but at the cost of filtration.

My views on it anyway :)

Ron

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I agree with Ron on this. I am keeping my stock airfilter. I had a one of the foam ones (K&N) and it did not filter very well. I will give up a little performance for a longer life on the engine.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14