Replacing compressor wheel?

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Wicked Wheel does not add any power, it has the cut fins so that compressed air can escape when the turbo stalls. Ford changed the wheel out because of complaints that turbo noise was too high.

Vdubbugman53

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
so it is the same??? it just seems that i don't have the same feel that the later powerstrokes are describing.......and on a side note....who the F*** complains about turbo noise.....honestly

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so it is the same??? it just seems that i don't have the same feel that the later powerstrokes are describing.......and on a side note....who the F*** complains about turbo noise.....honestly

I believe so because that's what I've been told. I haven't personally seen an early 99 wheel so I can't say definitively, but if you were to pull the intake ducting off and look at the compressor wheel you should be able to see if the fins are uniform or if they alternate one short and one tall. As far as feel goes, I believe that one of the differences between the early and the later ones is the diameter of the air ducting. I'm not sure whether it's between the y-pipe and the heads or in the intercooler tubes or where. This may be why it "feels" different. And yes, I have no idea what kind of clowns would not be happy to hear the turbo, not do I understand why a company like Ford would make such a big change to accomodate the clowns. On a final note, most of my info is gleaned from reading posts like this and it may or may not be accurate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14