Replacing my fuel filters, not sure about something.

twotonevert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am in the process of draining the frame filter and it just keep coming. How long does it take, I have already emptied one catch pan. Is there something else I need to do. The top one in the engine bay was a snap.

twotonevert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, the 6.0 bible is awesome. Thank you for having that. It really made the first filter easy. I am just not sure how much fuel should drain from the frame rail filter.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being the filter, is lower than the fuel tank, you may have a syphon going ?

I'm not a 6.0 owner, but on my 2K.. with a pre-pump filter, mounted lower than the tank.. I need to shut off the fuel line from the tank.. via a ball valve... to change that filter.

Just a SWAG.. but trying to help ??

Joe

twotonevert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being the filter, is lower than the fuel tank, you may have a syphon going ?

I'm not a 6.0 owner, but on my 2K.. with a pre-pump filter, mounted lower than the tank.. I need to shut off the fuel line from the tank.. via a ball valve... to change that filter.

Just a SWAG.. but trying to help ??

Joe

Thanks Joe, I wish there were a fuel shut off in the line, but I cant find if there is one.

atk

Reaction score
i usually try to drain(HFCM) and change filters when fuel tank is low on fuel. less chances of the syphoning effect to happen....as for the amount of that is drained from HFCM, i usually get about a liter or two(couple of quarts)....

twotonevert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i usually try to drain(HFCM) and change filters when fuel tank is low on fuel. less chances of the syphoning effect to happen....as for the amount of that is drained from HFCM, i usually get about a liter or two(couple of quarts)....

I didnt think about that. With the tank low on fuel, would there be less pressure? I just filled up this morning. I know its a stupid question, but I thought there had to pressure on the system for fuel to flow. I may try that next time.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The fuel will stop flowing after a couple of quarts (or liters). It looks like it will drain your tank, but it does stop flowing. I put a plastic bucket under the filter and let her run. Then pour it back into the tank. Use a CLEAN bucket.

Dave

twotonevert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel will stop flowing after a couple of quarts (or liters). It looks like it will drain your tank, but it does stop flowing. I put a plastic bucket under the filter and let her run. Then pour it back into the tank. Use a CLEAN bucket.

Dave

Cool, looks like I need to have a little patience. Thanks guys. I need to get myself a new bucket. ;tu

brianjbeach85

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Fuel filter change

I literally just did mine a few hours ago. Few tips to saving fuel IMO and my buddy told me to do it.

Unscrew Gas cap (relieves pressure that may be in tank)
Unscrew purge bolt (6mm allen wrench) remove plug until job complete.. i lost maybe a litre of fuel if that
unscrew filter housing using 36MM socket, will also need a flex angle adapter or set of vice grips. I used the vice grips to turn it 1/8 to reseat 36MM socket for each turn. Tight space in there.

Once filter housing unscrewed replace O ring gasket and filter... screw filter back into unit

Replug drain bolt

Proceed to engine bay i used a 1/2 inch drive on engine bay housing lid
Withdrawl all fuel in engine bay filter housing with Baster or siphon tool

replace O ring and filter and screw cap back!

This seems long winded, but i just wanted to point out the key about fuel loss, i believe my tech saved ALOT of fuel... everyone i talk to said alot poured out.. but i had minimal and i think the gas cap was the trick

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A trick to remove the fuel from the Secondary Housing on the engine. After you open the 6mm drain on the HFCM, go under the hood and open the Secondary Filter lid... this will allow the fuel to drain from the housing into the bucket you already have in position. This is what I have been doing. After you replace all the lids and the drain. Cycle the key from off to run, at least 3 times, and listen for the pump to stop running before the next cycle. After the 3rd cycle, start the engine and check for leaks. Should start up just like normal. The system has an automatic purge feature, so the air will leave on its own and start like normal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58