Question Reving at start up

FordFarming7

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 F250 with the 6.0L. I havent been long bought the truck and am new to the 6.0L's. My question is when I start the truck up with a cold engine, like in the morning's it will start right up no problem and run perfect then start reving up and down on its on for several seconds or until I decide to go. Once i take off and go a couple miles and get the motor up to operating temp and all she will run beautifully the rest of the time. Its almost like it has some sort of high idle cycler or something but the reving is sporatic. Just curious as to what this might be?? Im driving it everyday just want to know what its doing?? Thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
These motors will go into a high idle in cold weather. Mine will go to about 950 to 1000 rpms until it is warm. Normal. :welcome FordFarmer!

Dave

FordFarming7

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Its not been cold here at all. Been in the high 80's and 90's these past few days. I understand what a high idle cycler does but this is more like someone is sitting in the seat tapping the gas pedal but its just doing it on its on. It doesnt just go to up a few hundred rpm's and stay there until its ready if that makes any sense??

atk

Reaction score
have you scanned for codes? this sould be done first....

i may be wrong, but sounds like an ICP/electrical connector for ICP problem....

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off.. WELCOME to SDD, FordFarming. ;tu

An old habit.. but not good for a PCM controlled Diesel ? Try starting it [without] stepping on the throttle. Just crank it and let it start & warm up some, on it's own.

See what that does ?

(Worth a try, before you Scan.. then throw parts at the codes ?)

:dunno

Joe

Last edited:

FordFarming7

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Big joe, yesterday and today when i drove the truck I switched it on and let the glow plugs do their thing. Cranked it on up and let it idle a few seconds and went on a put her in gear and eased out the driveway and up the road. I didnt give it time to sit there and do its reving or whatever it does. when i first started up the road the motor changes sound or tune until it gets warm, I guess that is normal?? I get to my destination and like I said by then its running like a new one at idle. ATK, what do I check for the ICP problem you say I might have?? O, Im gonna have the codes checked tomorrow and see what they tell me.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big joe, yesterday and today when i drove the truck I switched it on and let the glow plugs do their thing. Cranked it on up and let it idle a few seconds and went on a put her in gear and eased out the driveway and up the road. I didnt give it time to sit there and do its reving or whatever it does. when i first started up the road the motor changes sound or tune until it gets warm, I guess that is normal?? I get to my destination and like I said by then its running like a new one at idle. ATK, what do I check for the ICP problem you say I might have?? O, Im gonna have the codes checked tomorrow and see what they tell me.

The different engine sounds you hear, before & during warm-up, could be the fan ? And the other whizo things that are activated by the PCM for a Faster (EPA) warm-up. IMO.. all Normal.

Yer Scan will tell the tale(s).

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be a long shot, but your truck is a 2003. Ford came out with a reflash for the 03 and 04's that makes the turbo sound like the engine is speeding up, when it's not going up by much. If you have a 4 in after market ex like a MBRP it will drive you nuts when it does this. Watch your tack to make sure it is for real speeding up.
Doug

FordFarming7

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Had my truck scanned today here are the codes that showed up,
PO404
PO405
P1464
And i had a previous code of P2285 but is not showing up now?? Possibly fixed before I bought it??
Any enlightenment would be appreciated on the direction I need to head in to straighten this thing out.

atk

Reaction score
PO404-405 should be related to egr if i remember correctly. P1464 and P2285 i`ll have to look up. you can ckeck the wiki section, there is a list of codes with some descriptions....also related to ICP, there should have been a code....hope this helps

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58