rising temp

5vertugger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well when my 05 f350 cc 4x4 3:73 was 1 week old (100 MILES)I had to have the radiator replaced because it was cracked on top and would leave a fine spray on the radiator top and side. The dealer took me in that day and I had the truck back the next with a new radiator. The temp gauge never moved.
Now come back from camping in the Deep Creek area of Md. and on the trip out and back Temp gauge starts climbing on climbs and on certain acceleration points. It climbs so high that the gauge hits the red mark and I can hear the electric fan kicking in and the temp drops down back to normal until the next hill or gradual climb. I never had a diesel before but I know this is not normal. I traded for this truck with a 01 V10 f250 3:73 and towed in the same area and temp was pretty solid. I also towed the same fifth wheel(9500lbs loaded) looks like I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow.

Ken

CHPMustang

Reaction score
When the dealer replaced the radiator did they do the same with the radiator cap? Just a thought :cowboy:

I know there's TSB# 05-1-2 for faulty instrument clusters.The normal hot temps before the fan is in the 210-230 degree range,red line I think is about 250 degrees :eek:

Generally when the fan kicks on at a specific hot coolant point controlled by the PCM the engine cools down pretty quick.
The 05 cooling setup resembles an 80's Turbocharged Mustang that did the same thing which I owned back then.

Bill

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
If it were not under warranty I would start by looking at the thermostat and the radiator cap............maybe a radiator hose colapsing...........

With that being said.................it is under warranty............let the dealership figure it out while you drive their loaner vehicle!!!

And yes...............I would hammer them for a loaner to drive.

Tbar

5vertugger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
When the dealer replaced the radiator did they do the same with the radiator cap? Just a thought :cowboy:

Bill

No the dealer did not replace the cap.
Thanks
ken

5vertugger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tbar said:
If it were not under warranty I would start by looking at the thermostat and the radiator cap............maybe a radiator hose colapsing...........

With that being said.................it is under warranty............let the dealership figure it out while you drive their loaner vehicle!!!

And yes...............I would hammer them for a loaner to drive.

Tbar
Tbar I got one when they replaced the radiator and I WILL get one now.

Thanks
Ken

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have had 3 Ex's now... and believe it or not...
just one day before trading the 03 in on an 05 is the first time I heard the fan kick in !!!!!

MAN, that thing howls when it cranks up :)

My fault though - got in the wrong lane and had to beat someone to the next block so I could turn the other way....
did a little boost building at the red light with a mini power brake so I could get a good jump in front of the LONG line of traffic...
light took longer than I thought to turn...
and as I let off to go, the fan kicked on !!!!
Whoa, it was loud, but only on for a few seconds !!!

5vertugger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:

I know there's TSB# 05-1-2 for faulty instrument clusters.The normal hot temps before the fan is in the 210-230 degree range,red line I think is about 250 degrees :eek:

Generally when the fan kicks on at a specific hot coolant point controlled by the PCM the engine cools down pretty quick.
The 05 cooling setup resembles an 80's Turbocharged Mustang that did the same thing which I owned back then.

Bill
Bill, I did talk to the dealer today and he did mention about the TSB for faulty instument cluster. My question to him was, what turns the fans on a temp sensor( Iwould think) or when the gauge reaches a certain spot on the dial. I would think if it was a faulty gauge the fans would not be turning on.
I am taking it in Monday (both diesel mechanics out till then).

Thanks for your input
Ken

CHPMustang

Reaction score
5vertugger said:
Bill, I did talk to the dealer today and he did mention about the TSB for faulty instument cluster. My question to him was, what turns the fans on a temp sensor( Iwould think) or when the gauge reaches a certain spot on the dial. I would think if it was a faulty gauge the fans would not be turning on.
I am taking it in Monday (both diesel mechanics out till then).

Thanks for your input
Ken
Maybe the temp sensor that sends the signal to the PCM to kick the fan on is weak/defective which might cause a delay in the time for the fan to activate? Just a thought as I'm going by prior vehicle experience regarding coolant temp sesnor/switches.

Post up any positive findings by the techs :sweet

edsf460

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
5vertugger said:
Well when my 05 f350 cc 4x4 3:73 was 1 week old (100 MILES)I had to have the radiator replaced because it was cracked on top and would leave a fine spray on the radiator top and side. The dealer took me in that day and I had the truck back the next with a new radiator. The temp gauge never moved.
Now come back from camping in the Deep Creek area of Md. and on the trip out and back Temp gauge starts climbing on climbs and on certain acceleration points. It climbs so high that the gauge hits the red mark and I can hear the electric fan kicking in and the temp drops down back to normal until the next hill or gradual climb. I never had a diesel before but I know this is not normal. I traded for this truck with a 01 V10 f250 3:73 and towed in the same area and temp was pretty solid. I also towed the same fifth wheel(9500lbs loaded) looks like I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow.

Ken
Ken i have a 05 dually crew 4x4 my did the same thing except it was boiling it out of the coolant cap I took it in and they replaced both head gaskets. It took 25 days to get my truck back. I just got it back and pulled my first trailer and It started heating on the first hill i hit with a 9000 trailer. I'm taking it back to to the dealer. but i'm only 5 days away from lemon law. I already talked to a lawyer about it He told me he has done a lot of ford diesel trucks already. please let me know how you make out with yours good luck P.S. the mechanic told me there are no electric fans just a electric clutch on your regular fan that locks it up at a certain temp.

Last edited:

5vertugger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
edsf460 said:
Ken i have a 05 dually crew 4x4 my did the same thing except it was boiling it out of the coolant cap I took it in and they replaced both head gaskets. It took 25 days to get my truck back. I just got it back and pulled my first trailer and It started heating on the first hill i hit with a 9000 trailer. I'm taking it back to to the dealer. but i'm only 5 days away from lemon law. I already talked to a lawyer about it He told me he has done a lot of ford diesel trucks already. please let me know how you make out with yours good luck P.S. the mechanic told me there are no electric fans just a electric clutch on your regular fan that locks it up at a certain temp.

eds460 thanks for the reply good luck on yours. As far as the lemon law goes you say you have 5 days away from lemon law. Does that mean that your vehicle has to be out of service for 30 days? My father inlaw had 1 vehicle lemon law and 1 bought back. The lemon law they had to fix it within 3 tries and they didn't. The buy back was the same except the dealer returned all his money and ordered new vehicle, that way they could resale vehicle.( lemonlaw was a chevy lumina van and buy back was a ford tarus.)
I'll keep you informed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg