rottela t oil

fxdwgi

Global Warmer
Reaction score
I have run the syn 5w40 a few times (during season change), and it seems to run a tad louder to me.

wilpenusa

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
For anybody That is still interested, I have run Castrol GTX for about 30 yrs in my vehicles.
My last truck before my PSD was a Nissan and it had over 300,000 Mi and did not smoke at all. I run Castrol GTX 15-40 in my PSD now, even though it cost me almost 85.00 last time for oil and filter at Auto Zone. Pep Boys don't ever seem to have it and Walmart don't carry it here. Couldn't get it in the large container.

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotella iz a great oil...thats wut most truckin companies and truck repair shops use !!!

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
How about the Castrol Syntec??? Saw it today at Walmart--comes in 5 qt. containers. I'm about due for a change but not sure about the Castrol synthetic.

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is some truth in that Rotella foams a little more than many but that doesn't mean its a bad oil for short runs 3-5k miles. The bad thing about foamy oil is it loses the film that protects the parts from going metal to metal. It is said that due to foaming in certain oils its a contributing factor is shearing down oil faster in some models.

Synthetic oils will run quieter in your engines as they have more agents to prevent foaming and are more stable when at temprature. I have had several customers that switched to synthetics tell me they notice the difference in the noise levels in the cab. If your going to try Synthetics such as Castrol SynTec, price it out, then before you buy price me out and see how close the pricing is. Remember that with the Amsoil you will be guarateed a longer oil change interval than with Castrol or any other Synthetic on the market longer OCI means money in your pocket. One last note Castrol SynTec is made from a Group III Base Stock and Amsoil is made from a Group IV or PAO base stock Group III is not as highly refined as the Group IV.

Last edited:

Camptoboat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll for my '99 and my son's '01 we have been using Rotella syn. for years and have recived passing scores on my oil tests by Blackstone Laboratories

Our TBN levels are up where they need to be. Blackstone Laboratories - Do I Need a TBN?

We started with 4K mile interval and worked up to 10K miles between oil changes, but were using this by-pass filter http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/asia_pacific_brochures/FM040803.pdf

Just my two cents worth.
Gary & Will

Nice thats awesome! A bypass will definitely help extend OCI good choice!

Diezel Dawg

vvv Real NW Truck
Reaction score
I used to run Rotella T 15w40. Decided to switch to scheaffers 9000 5W40 full synthetic and my truck loves it. havent looked back, and it is well worth the extra money IMO. My vote is for Schaeffers

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I have always run Delo 400 and my truck seems to like it. There may be something to the oil differences in the 7.3 because of the foaming but from a wear stand point changing the oil regularly is a lot more important than what oil you use.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58