rough start and running

magnoliatrucks

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 F250 and have been having trouble starting truck. It always starts, but takes a very long time to finally turn over. The truck also has trouble keeping up with itself (no power), The trucks shudders and and hesitates as it drives down the road under acceleration. Fuel mileage keeps getting worse (just changed all filters and ooil w/ no change. Ford wants to charge $1800 to replace the HOP (high pressure oil pump), but can't guarantee that is the problem. Since I just spent $1700 at ford to fix the problem and they replaced the FICM which didn't fix my problem I a very apprehensive to give them any more of my $$$$. Anyone who has had this problem PLEASE HELP!!!!

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Im not sure whats wrong, it sounds like it could be the HPOP. I would not keep driving it though. If it is the hpop you will mess up the injectors if you keep driving it. I replaced my HPOP myself and its not that difficult. Check out Dieselsite at the top of the page. Bob Riley helped me out ALOT when I was having issues with my truck. His HPOP is less expensive and has higher volume than factory replacement. Good luck!

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find another dealership. The STC fitting (cheaper than an HPOP) on the discharge of the HPOP is a common failure point. The HPOP is not for the late '04 and up pumps..

Last edited:

jeffnzoya

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a DIY project? My brother has an 05 excursion and it is doing the same thing. He had a ford guy put it on the computer and was told to replace the #2 injector and the FICM, $1,200.00 later, no change it actually may run worse.

Also you mentioned that if the HPOP is bad it will damage the fuel injectors. I can believe that as his truck "to me" is getting worse.

I know it has been a month since this thread, however I am curious to find what was the problem with your unit, magnoliatrucks.

Thanks

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I did the change to the STC fitting and its a fairly easy job. No dealer touches my trucks.
My truck was a hard starter for 3 years and they blamed the batteries while it was on warranty.
I could live with it by plugging it in. But once warranty over I repaired it.
The old fitting was leaking, it was loose when I removed it no way it could have held 400PSI.
It starts like a top now and the injectors are strong on startup.

Its a long process but I got all the info on the forum.

You need to remove the turbo, Egr Cooler, and the Intake Manifold.
I bet they were to busy to take the time to do it right and just took the shortcut hoping it could fix it. The real problem is the only solution. Wonder how they can stay in business, If I had to deal with a dealer like that I would run to a GM or Ram.

The real problem with these 6.0's is the STC fitting at $60. All O'Rings and seals included.

Its possibly your problem and Ford has been playing games with you.
If they have gone in and changed parts that were not the solution.

Last edited:

magnoliatrucks

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice

I don't really want to go tearing the top of the motor apart to try to replace a small piece just to find out that it was not the problem. Does anyone know how to diagnose or how to tell if the stc fitting is bad?
Thanks again everyone

06PSDROCK

Big Chief
Reaction score
I am looking for some feedback on this thread. My 06 has been taking longer to start than normal, runs fine once running. I recently replaced the SCT fitting on the HPOP with the updated fitting but have the same problem. I have seen where the o rings on the oil rail drains and the fitting on the pipe from the HPOP to the heads can leak too.

What are some indications of the HPOP going bad? i am willling to replace all these o rings...but this really is not that easy. Very time consuming.

Any additional help would be great.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The HPOP must generate 500 psi at start up or no start. That is one symptom of a bad HPOP. A scanner can tell you what the pressures are at the various running stages. AutoEnginuity.com makes one of the better scanner packages that runs on your laptop and allows you to drive your truck while monitoring and recording the various components. A slow start can be bad FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) which is more likely what you are seeing. How many miles do you have now?? The scanner will show if the FICM is going south.

Dave

06PSDROCK

Big Chief
Reaction score
Well, I hot the heads done last summer and they did the FICM then. That was at about 90K miles. The truck has about 98K now. i guess the question is how often does the HPOP go out? I am not down with easter egging this thing. It runs fine once it starts.

Can the SCT scan for this as well?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58