RPMs

devgru2011

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 F250, EGR deleted, 4" exhaust with cat delete, and a Banks cold air intake, THATS IT! My question is on acceleration, I at a light or stop sign, I usually take it real easy and keep it under 1900 RPMs, I want to know if im taking it too easy, because my biggest concern is head gaskets and Im worried that I might blow them if I accelerate past 2000 RPMs at a light or stop sign.

Another thing is that when I stop, and take my foot off the break, I feel a slight thud, or it happens when i accelerate, is this normal?:dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can and should get on it without having to baby it along. I get rolling a little and then get on it. I do this to give the turbo a chance to wind up. This makes for a more even acceleration. If you get on it from a dead stop, you will bog down the turbo. Turbos don't accelerate instantly and need a little time to wind up.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I guess I should add that you should not do any harm to the HG's doing this. You did not list gauges in your mods, and I HIGHLY recommend you get at least an EGT and a boost gauge. You can add a tranny or engine oil temperature gauge is you like.

Dave

devgru2011

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I guess I should add that you should not do any harm to the HG's doing this. You did not list gauges in your mods, and I HIGHLY recommend you get at least an EGT and a boost gauge. You can add a tranny or engine oil temperature gauge is you like.

Dave

So what would you say the max RPMs should be on a normal acceleration?

Gumby

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
5K didn't hurt mine...

You need to run it hard every once in a while or you'll have all kinds of problems.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, I am running completely stock, bumper to bumper. With your mods, you have not turned up the fuel to the engine, just allowing it to breathe better. I would push on the skinny pedal and let it work. I have not babied mine at all, and it is good for the 6.0 to be worked and allowed to strech its legs every once in a while, otherwise you will clog up the EGR and the Turbo..... If I DD mine, at least once a week, I will roll into the throttle on the on ramp and wind her out..... that really seems to help keep everything clean. I have also, while towing my 5k lb Travel Trailer, rolled into the throttle and let it wind every gear out, after that workout is really seemed to run better and have a bit more "pep".....

devgru2011

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
All diesels are governed. You can't over rev them.

Dave

I just broke 125k this weekend, and I am putting some money together to get the headstuds done. This place here in VA is going to do it for $4200, I have $5000, is there anything that I should get done while they're in there? And is it worth doing to a truck with this many miles on it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58