Ruining clutches

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an issue that I need to fix NOW. Every once in awhile (once a month maybe) my engine will dump fuel overboard. No specific driving traits are associated with it doing this. No particular temps, etc. It just does it when it wants to. I don't notice until after it has sat parked for an hour or so. I smell fuel and then see the big puddle under the truck. Filter is changed every oil change. I can't tell where it is coming from at all. Engine is dry on top. The big problem is today I was towing one of my trailers and the clutch started to slip when I romped on it 4th gear. I just replaced a perfectly good clutch when an o-ring in my HPOP went south. Now I have a very expensive Zoom clutch in it and I am about sick of replacing clutches. Anyone have any idea at all where this fuel may be coming from?!?!? Making me start to wish I had an auto now.......

selphdanny

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hey i had the same problem a little while back. my truck would do it every now and then. the little pet-cock valve on the back of the fuel bowl is going south. it wasn't till i was in tn last Christmas when i figured it out. the damn thing just started dumping fuel for no reason. the valve isn't hard to change just four torqs bits bolts and your good to go. i think it costed like 40 bucks in Tennessee. hope fully that will help you.

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The drain on the fuel bowl to empty it of water, etc. is the first thing I thought of but I haven't seen any fuel on top of the motor at all. I will see if my dealer can get the part and I'll swap it out. Can't hurt. Thanks!

JRJ04

Reaction score
it might to be leaking there where the valve attaches to the bowl, but maybe moreso the actual valve (ie, its not closing and fuel is running down the drain tube that comes out towards the front of the motor. I think you can see it from the passenger side fenderwell.

dpantazis

Reaction score
if the valley is dry, you may want to take a peak at the plugs and the check valves on the heads themselves.

i think that the the check valve is an oring fitting at the connection of the fuel lines at each head. the fuel lines are vibralock one too, that rely on a square cut oring around the pipe.

the plugs i think are npt pipe plugs.

one or the other is on the end of the heads. look at the wiki for regulated fuel system for more info. or try ipt diesel's installation documents.

good luck finding it!

dp

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the valley is dry, you may want to take a peak at the plugs and the check valves on the heads themselves.

i think that the the check valve is an oring fitting at the connection of the fuel lines at each head. the fuel lines are vibralock one too, that rely on a square cut oring around the pipe.

the plugs i think are npt pipe plugs.

one or the other is on the end of the heads. look at the wiki for regulated fuel system for more info. or try ipt diesel's installation documents.

good luck finding it!

dp

What dp said.. and.. it Really helps to have an [angled] or [stubby] tubing wrench.

Joe

Last edited:

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
when my drain valve o rings went the top of the motor never saw any fuel, just came out the bottom of the tube and ruined the parking lot.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the question is: Where does the puddle form ? Left front/rear, right front/rear.. of the engine :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58