Ruining clutches

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It forms near the rear of the motor, pretty much right under the bellhousing. When the latest clutch was installed the mechanic told me that there is a slot or hole on top of the bellhousing that allows fluids to get in and get on the flywheel and clutch. You would think a vent would have a hose and a one way plug/valve installed like on axles, etc. Oh well. I'll be searching tomorrow. Thanks all......

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It forms near the rear of the motor, pretty much right under the bellhousing. When the latest clutch was installed the mechanic told me that there is a slot or hole on top of the bellhousing that allows fluids to get in and get on the flywheel and clutch. You would think a vent would have a hose and a one way plug/valve installed like on axles, etc. Oh well. I'll be searching tomorrow. Thanks all......

Fer a good place to start the search ? Feel down behind the Pass side head, where the fuel line and it's fitting goes into the head (fuel rail). If it's wet (?) you can give that fitting a very slight tweak.. and temporarily fix the leak, but the best way.. is to replace the whole line, as an assembly.. it comes with improved type seals, on both ends.

With a good light and a mirror, you can see where fuel seeps down along the head and the block, then down passed the starter area, creeps along the bell housing and drips.. almost Dead Center off the inspection cover. If any fuel is seeping into the clutch area.. There's yer clutch issues..

Joe

Last edited:

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have fuel in the valley now. Joe, I looked and felt the line on the passenger side head and although it had some residue on it I didn't feel or see it leaking excessively. I am going to clean the motor real good tomorrow and run it and watch for leaks. Fuel bowl drain doesn't appear to be leaking either. In fact, nothing seems to be leaking but there is fuel in the valley and the fuel smell is bad in the cab now. My clutch started slipping again today. Yay! Right at Christmas too!

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After cleaning the motor and drying out the valley then running it I found the leak to be from the drain. I didn't realize how bad it was leaking. $52, in stock (he told he sold the only two they keep on hand today), at the local dealer. I'm going to change the filter and the valve now. Hopefully this is it. Thanks for everyone's input. I'll post back in a day or two and let you know if it fixed it. It's going to rain for the next few days so no motorcycle riding. :(

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After cleaning the motor and drying out the valley then running it I found the leak to be from the drain. I didn't realize how bad it was leaking. $52, in stock (he told he sold the only two they keep on hand today), at the local dealer. I'm going to change the filter and the valve now. Hopefully this is it. Thanks for everyone's input. I'll post back in a day or two and let you know if it fixed it. It's going to rain for the next few days so no motorcycle riding. :(

;tu Glad you found it, and hope thats it.

This is the time of year for leaks. Fittings of dis-similar metals, dried up O rings, seals, gaskets and hoses, that didn't leak or seep.. now dribble cuz of colder weather. Things don't swell up or exspand like in warmer weather.

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell me about it. I couldn't tell you the absolute number of packings/o-rings on a UH-60 Blackhawk but we have many more leaks this time of year for sure. We go through them like crazy. I really don't think they need replaced as much as just warming up the equipment will fix it much easier. Shrinkage will make a huge amount of leaks. Usually when the school instructors kick back an aircraft we will run it for 10 minutes to get the hydraulic fluid warmed up and there are zero leaks. Trying to save all of us some tax dollars!!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell me about it. I couldn't tell you the absolute number of packings/o-rings on a UH-60 Blackhawk but we have many more leaks this time of year for sure. We go through them like crazy. I really don't think they need replaced as much as just warming up the equipment will fix it much easier. Shrinkage will make a huge amount of leaks. Usually when the school instructors kick back an aircraft we will run it for 10 minutes to get the hydraulic fluid warmed up and there are zero leaks. Trying to save all of us some tax dollars!!

I hear ya..

A simple "Warm Up" can solve & prevent many a problem.

I've alwayz likened it to.... If we humans rolled out'n took off at dead run..we'd probably LEAK too. Maybe even have Main Pump failure also. :lmao

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, it seems I'm needing more "warm up" time in the early mornings more and more myself!!

I replaced the valve. Not at all difficult but hands are a little cut up getting to the torx screws and cleaning up the valley once again. I ran it for about 10 minutes and no leaks noted. I have about 3 hours of driving tomorrow morning so I'll check at every stop and see what I can see. Hopefully this will do it. I did notice my fuel pressure was running at 80 PSI instead of 70 while it was idling. Hmmmmmm......

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might wana look at that 80 psi.. could be a root cause for some-more fuel leaks.. along with the seasonal issues ??

Hmmmmm, X2

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I concur. I monitored the pressure and watched for leaks for a few weeks after I installed the FPR shim. 70 psi on the money. I will check it tomorrow throughout the days driving and see what it does. I can't see why it would jump up 10 psi all of a sudden.......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58