Running board lights on an Excursion

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
www.vehiclelight.com
they have just about every type of led out there and some very slim ones just perfect for running boards, I put them on my RV WOW what a difference
not pushing the place, they just have a wide selection prices may vary

obonaventure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
West Deptford, Gloucester County, Southern New Jer
What do you guys think of this (number of lights, spacing, etc)?

The lights are from Wal-Mart (Piranha V168A). I bought one to try it out for size. I positioned it where I think it should go, took a pic, and then I used a photo editing program to copy the one in the middle and pasted it back on at the front and at the rear. I tried see how they'd look up at the pinch weld, between the board and the pinch weld, and they looked great up in there but when the door was shut they basically disappeared, so I'm thinking about the top of the running board. I'm just not sure if they'll get kicked and broken or look "in the way". I'm not one for letting things look "rigged up" on my vehicles so it will be a while before I commit to something.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about a set of THESE for my truck eventually (they might fit the Excursion, but I'm not sure). They're something of a neater installation, and the convenience of not having to make up a wiring harness might be worth the additional cost.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
jvencius said:
I've been thinking about a set of THESE for my truck eventually (they might fit the Excursion, but I'm not sure). They're something of a neater installation, and the convenience of not having to make up a wiring harness might be worth the additional cost.
Those are cool,they come in lengths of 12" to 72" :sweet

They remind of the Line of Fire setup some owners have installed:cool:

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Those are cool,they come in lengths of 12" to 72" :sweet

They remind of the Line of Fire setup some owners have installed:cool:

I thought it would be pretty slick if I had them wired to (1) work as running lights and (2) also be hooked into the turn signal so that they blinked when I want to change lanes.

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spacing looked good, and those led bars are cool, I wanted to get something like that for the truck, just not sure yet...springs are 1st priority!

N_P

Truck Nut
Reaction score
obonaventure said:

The lights are from Wal-Mart (Piranha V168A). I bought one to try it out for size. I positioned it where I think it should go, took a pic, and then I used a photo editing program to copy the one in the middle and pasted it back on at the front and at the rear. I tried see how they'd look up at the pinch weld, between the board and the pinch weld, and they looked great up in there but when the door was shut they basically disappeared, so I'm thinking about the top of the running board. I'm just not sure if they'll get kicked and broken or look "in the way". I'm not one for letting things look "rigged up" on my vehicles so it will be a while before I commit to something.

obonaventure; Three is good, five is better. :thumbs There some pictures of my F150 with the V168A lights on pages 2 & 3 in this LINK

And heres some pictures of some Truck-Lite LEDs that I installed on the back side of the running boards of my Super Duty. About 1/8 of an inch of the face of the light sticks out from the board. Very little chance of hitting them with your foot. This method would work well on your Excursion.

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
obonaventure said:

I used the same lights. Had mine on for about a year, have never kicked them, my kids have not either. :rolleyes:

I took pics of the harness I made, connections, etc... And then, changed computers and am trying to find them. :sorry When I do, I'll post them for what ever help they might be.

As far as rigged up, they look "factory" to me. And very sweet at night. :sweet

Just get yourself some stainless steel fasteners, make yourself a harness, take a beer and drill some holes.

(Trust me, after drilling holes in my roof for my clearance lights, the running boards were a cinch)

I have been very happy with mine.

FWIW

Barrett

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg