Running Cold?!

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Same here, my 203* 'stat barely squeeks me up to the "N". Every once in awhile the gauge will jump around a bit, but essentially it's no more useful than an idiot light. If it starts hovering about the middle in long stop and go episodes in summer, I know I blew a fuse on the electric fan :)

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
With this talk of the 203* stat it should be noted that there is only one source for the 1996-2003 7.3L PowerStroke. On the pre-96' trucks you can use a thermostat from your local auto parts house but the 96'-up trucks need a thermostat with a longer stem. The only long stem thermostats available at the dealer and parts houses are 192* or 195*. Using a short stem in place of a long stem will cause inaccurate coolant flow direction through the engine. You can get a long stem 203* for the 96'-up trucks at Dieselsite.com

lee2001

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing the same thing, I just replaced the water pump and now the 1997 will not get in the Normal range, before the new water pump it ran cold at N.

Seems to me the Tstat shouild stay closed longer, my mixture is a perfect 50/50 now, the temp sensor went in fine and seems to work ok before.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here, my 203* 'stat barely squeeks me up to the "N". Every once in awhile the gauge will jump around a bit, but essentially it's no more useful than an idiot light. If it starts hovering about the middle in long stop and go episodes in summer, I know I blew a fuse on the electric fan :)

Me Too. The pretend gauge >ALLWAYS< reads, N. The No S**T real temp gauge reads 203-204, on a hard pull, 206ish. The pretend gauge >ALLWAYS< reads N.

On my ol' 91 IDI(turbo'd).. I boiled it over (at nite), pulled over, popped the hood, thru the steam i could see the exhaust mans were RED.. pretend gauge read.. you guessed it..N:eek: .

Nowadays I like to worry about REAL oil pressure. Next Mod ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58