Help Needed Running Issue

hobhancock

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I posted a question last week about some starting issues I am having and I got some quick responses to that question and I thank all for that. In relation to that question as an update I am going to change the Glow Plug Relay and see if that will help the long cranking before it starts(about 9 seconds) Here is my next issue and if they are related and the GPR fixes that then I am a happy campier.

Once it starts it seems to run as normal. Saturday I started it up and didnt wait for it to warm up much, didnt think I had to with the outside temps being in the 80's. I took off up a small hill and it just stalled out and quit. It cranked for even a longer time but then started but ran really funny. It would be like - varoom - hesitate - varoom - hesitate, and while trying to get going it was actually rocking the truck back and forth. It tried for a short time then finally smoothed out and ran ok.

If this could possibly be something other than the GPR, any suggestions and direction would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Put a diagnostic trouble code scanner on the truck yet? Could be beyond the GPR and glow plugs but the only way to know is to see if any trouble codes come up.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
The symptoms are text Book Valve Cover Gasket/wiring harness issues... But as bill stated check for codes.... you may also see some ICP #'s come up as this too could possibly be causing the problem.

hobhancock

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Update on issue

I ended up changing out the GPR which really help the starting issue. I was just out camping where it got to be in the low 40's and it would start up with about a second cranking time. I was quite pleased. As far as the running issue once started but not warmed up, I did alot of research here and someone mentioned to check the oil level. As I checked my records, it indicated I had not changed the oil for a while. Even though there had only been about 10,000 miles on the vehicle. So before the trip I changed the oil and found out it is was quite low, like about half low. I feel rather foolish that I never let my vehicles go that low. Anyway, the truck runs better without letting it warm up for a little bit. It took a short time for the turbo to spool but it never did die on my like before.

Thanks to all who help with my issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14