Rust Spots on Clear coat

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
Any one ever experienced this, does anyone know what it is from? It is a white truck so it is really visible.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
I have seen this when a vehicle is near a place that does a lot of welding/fabricating. large amounts of iron get into the air, in the form of dust... normaly a decent wax pulls out the stain.

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
Thats what I told him but he works in home construction so I was thinking there might be another reason for it.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also work in construction and have had these rust spots on my truck. I am unsure on what caused them but I found that a good wash and scrub makes them disappear.

N_P

Truck Nut
Reaction score
Any one ever experienced this, does anyone know what it is from? It is a white truck so it is really visible.

I lived in southern CA for a few months back in 1988-89 (thank god it was only a few months) stuff just fell outta the air. The dew would settle in over night, and the next day I'd find tiny specks of stuff imbedded into the paint on the hood with a little rust ring around it.

When my 2000 Ford arrived at the dealer, the flat surfaces had specks of rail dust imbedded into the paint. They used clay bars to remove it.

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my last truck had this, i took it to a detail shop and they got it out. i guess they used a buffer. not sure, i was in to much of a hurry to ask what got it off.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
It can actually come to the dealer with these spots. They are referred to as "rail dust" as it is usually caused from the fine metal particles that come from train wheels running on the track. It will embed itself into the paint and later rust. My white truck had it all over. The best way I have found to remove it is to use a Clay Bar. It took more than one time for mine. The spots appeared to be gone, but came back. The second use seemed to remove them all. It is alot of work, but it is worth it.

I reccomend staying away from the use of a buffer. In untrained hands it can do alot of damage QUICK. Also with the buffer you are removing a minute amount of paint (clearcoat), where as the clay bay supposedly simlpy "pulls" out the contaminants.

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeh i definately didnt mean to say use a buffer, cuz those do more damage then good sometimes. i havent used a clay bar but ive heard their the best for that stuff. sorry for misleading.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Yep...............rail dust.

Tbar

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
It may not be the reason, but hell, it is the best one I herd yet. Ill bring it up as a possibility. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl