Saying good bye to my 7.3 for 6.7

Discussion in '6.7L PowerStroke Power & Performance' started by benjamin66, Oct 23, 2017.

1. 01yellerCobra

01yellerCobra Full Access Member

If you drive in a lot of traffic the regen system will activate more often. My commute got really short and I had a week where the system tried to regen every time I drove it. Got it on the highway and all good. I changed my route and I'm back to getting regens every thousand or so miles.

As for having to fill the DEF fluid that depends on what you consider regularly. A gallon of DEF lasts about 1000 miles. Give or take a hundred miles. So having to fill up every 5000 miles isn't too bad.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

2. walt501

walt501 SDD Junior Member

I have 248k miles on my 2003 7.3L Excursion. The only issues I've had is common problem of the oil pan rotting out and leaking. I kept patching it with JB weld for a couple years until I had an injector cup crack. Since I planned on keeping the truck, I wanted all the injector cups replaced and figured it would be an easier repair with the engine out in order to replace the oil pan. So 8 injector cups, new glow plugs, new oil pan and new O-rings for the injectors and I was back on the road but the cost was $5000. I figure I'll drive the truck another 1000k miles so $5000 for another 100k miles made sense to me.

I've looked at the 6.7 in a Super Duty as well as the new 2018 Expedition. I can actually spec out a new Super Duty for less money than a new 2018 Expedition. So I might go with a Super Duty some day, but given all the sensors and emissions equipment on the 6.7 there is no way I would run one without an engine warranty. I believe Ford will sell you a engine warranty that will take you to 150k miles. After that, I'd have to trade it off on something else.

3. dialedin86

dialedin86 dialedin86

I have a 95 F350 crew cab with 345,000 miles. I bought it new and love the truck. I am looking to rebuild the ZF box soon for the second time.
    I would like to get a new trk but can't see spending 80-100K.