SCT tuner & plans to try to increase fuel mileage

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stopped in to buy an exhaust system for the truck today but ended up walking out with a Bully Dog Triple Dog:confused::dunno

He was gonna load a trial performance tune in the truck but with me picking up a 9k 30' fifth wheel to pull 1773 miles to Clairsholm, AB and back tomorrow he let me take a new unit and will give me a week to try it and return it for a 100% refund if not satisfied. He's right on my route so getting back to him is no problem.

Doing the math, if this thing only gets me 1 more mpg I will save $100 on my fuel bill just this trip with fuel cost figured at $3.80 per gallon which is actually a low figure right now.

Played with it a little and was very surprised at the increase in power over stock:eek: Gives me an erie sense of how easy it is to break stuff with stupid power. Nearly roasted my tires at a stopsign just squeezing the pedal a little bit, I don't have the nads to floor it even in just the middle "performance" setting much less the extreeme setting.

2 reasons I settled on the triple dog.

1- Can use in a Ford, Dodge or Chebby if I trade in a few months which is a looming possibility.

2- Can quickly switch tunes and tranny settings on the fly and I'll prolly be swapping tunes every couple days from the tow to whatever gives me the best economy empty.

Will know in a week what the real deal is and keep Y'all informed. Will be getting him to do a turbo back, no cat exhaust in about a week when he has an opening in the shop.... didn't want to sit in a Menards parking lot with a hacksaw doing it myself tonight:lmao

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW!! worth checking into....i may do some inquiries..

kleetus: by reading what they have said they are doing, MY interpretation is that you maybe getting an 03 ficm w/ original programming... so yes they maybe completely redoing the software....

this would certainly be a good explanation as to why I and others lost mpg w/ every re-occuring flash..lord knows i've had them all.

off topic and slight rant: still does not explain why when they have hooked up their puter and taken my truck for a drive 'their' puter say truck gets 19 mpg against wind and 22 w/ wind....that is written right on my service sheets from the dealer...oh, and no one can explain it to me other than they say the computer does not lie.....I SAY BS. my mileage sheets beg to differ...

That is definatly worth looking into.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
WOW!! worth checking into....i may do some inquiries..

kleetus: by reading what they have said they are doing, MY interpretation is that you maybe getting an 03 ficm w/ original programming... so yes they maybe completely redoing the software....

this would certainly be a good explanation as to why I and others lost mpg w/ every re-occuring flash..lord knows i've had them all.

off topic and slight rant: still does not explain why when they have hooked up their puter and taken my truck for a drive 'their' puter say truck gets 19 mpg against wind and 22 w/ wind....that is written right on my service sheets from the dealer...oh, and no one can explain it to me other than they say the computer does not lie.....I SAY BS. my mileage sheets beg to differ...

I was picking the brain of the local Ford dealership diesel tech about this, and he said that he would not recommend having the FICM redone to the '03 specs. He said the pilot injection was ruff on the injectors and that's why Ford came out with a re-flash to take care of that problem.

Keep in mind, I am merely stating what he said. I am not agreeing nor disagreeing with it.

Reaction score
Still running 03 specs never had an injector installed some of us are just lucky. Everyone is always complaining about customer service. My tuner has only not answered my call once and was back with me within an hour. Truck Performance Parts Diesel Pickup Truck Performance Parts Powerstroke Parts Buy Online If you want a new tune just gotta pm him and he'll email it to ya quickly. Have spent alot of money with bill and never had 1 complaint.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14