SeaFoam?

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've searched but noticed this particular product has not been mentioned much around here. I'm particularly talking about Seafoam Auto/Marine motor treatment.

I've used Seafoam on gas motors through the fuel system, vacuum sources and crankcase of varying mileage, and didn't notice much of an improvement except maybe a slight increase in MPGs in an 86 Bronco II. Some people swear by it, while others believe it's a snake oil.

My question is, has anyone here ever used it? I was leaning more towards using it to see if it would clean my injectors by adding some of the Seafoam in the fuel bowl, other than that I thought about running it in my motor oil a day before I change it - I'm coming up on a change, and I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm not expecting seat of my pants improvement, but I figured it wouldnt hurt to clean even at the smallest level.

I wasn't really particulary thinking of using it as a fuel additive everytime I fill up, but aparently Seafoam's description mentions anti-gelling.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Lord Tauk said:
I've searched but noticed this particular product has not been mentioned much around here. I'm particularly talking about Seafoam Auto/Marine motor treatment.http://www.seafoamsales.com/

i was talking to an older member at church Sunday night, discussing diesels and trucks in general. we started talking about cetane boost, anti-gelling, and so on and he asked if i had ever heard of SeaFoam. i had not, he told me that it was the best stuff he had ever used.

he used it on an isuzu pup diesel and also on his lincoln town car. he said the valves would get to rattlin on the town car and he would put some SeaFoam in it and it would clear right up.

he said in his opinion, that it was better than Howe's and Lucas.

so, i have no personal exp. with it, but he really believed in it and he is a very honest and upright fellow.

maybe that will help you some.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
For a period of time, I worked at a local Car Quest. During that time a Sea Foam rep came around and we were supposed to take him around to some of our local customers.

Generally, a Sea Foam treatment went like this. Warm the engine up to normal operating temp. With the engine at a fast idle, pour about 1/2 the can down the carb/ into the fuel injector body/ or into the intake plenum fast enough that it kills the engine. After the engine dies, pour 1/4 of the can into the oil and 1/4 of the can into the gas tank. Let the car sit for about 20 minutes. After that period, re-start the vehicle take it out on the highway and drive it like you stole it. Flooding the engine and letting the stuff soak for 20 minutes was supposed to soften all the varnish and carbon deposits. On re-start, it would smoke something awful, but flooring it out on the highway would supposedly blow all those softened deposits out the tail pipe.

All I can say is I personally saw several vehicles come back from their trips down the highway with the owners/mechanics/service managers shaking their heads in disbelief saying the vehicle hadn't run that smooth or good in years.
One vehicle at a dealership was a junker and they immediately jacked the price up $1,000 just because it was running that much better after the Sea Foam treatment.

Now those were all gas vehicles. I don't know how the stuff would affect a Powerstroke because of how the injectors function using high pressure oil.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Funny you should bring this up. I just used some on my wife's Explorer with a 5.0 V8. It definitely runs smoother and has more pep, though it did not run bad before. I have no issue using it for injector/fuel system cleaner, but NO WAY I would put it in my oil. The PSD has a FAR too complicated oiling system with the HPOP and all to pour that stuff in my crankcase.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Tail_Gunner said:
I don't know how the stuff would affect a Powerstroke because of how the injectors function using high pressure oil.

There is another snake oil for cleaning our engines. Ever heard of Auto-RX?

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have used both seafoam and deep creep. i have used seafoam in my oil crankcase before changing my oil (driving for about an hour prior). i did it for the fact of adding a additive to the next oil change and wanted to clean up the old oil residue. i used deep creep (aersol version of seafoam) in all of mine and my friends gassers. it works great on them. my oil in the diesel wasnt really dirty on the next oil change that could be due to the additive. but i like this product. i havent used seafoam for antigel or gasoline fuel systems

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I have used Seafoam in my PSD, specifially I overdosed it prior to working on my injectors. I ran my fuel tank low, bought 4 cans of Seafoam, took cap off filter housing and poured one can in filter, poured other three cans in 1/4 tank of fuel. Ran the piss out of it and then pulled the injectors/glow plugs.

Did it help?

I have no idea since I dont know what the GP's and injectors looked like prior to a Seafoam overdose. I will tell you that the glow plugs came right out of the hole with no carbon build up on them.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
ive run it as a fuel additive before.didnt notice much of a difference in the PSD but the IDI ran a little quieter than normal.the spray can seafoam for rusty bolts works great though.i love the stuff.i have 10 cans of it at the shop cuz i keep loseing them and buying more.got a brand new can of PB blaster that i havent used since buying the seafoam.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice information guys. I've used Seafoam in a bunch of different non-diesel applications, but this would be the first time I've messed with Seafoam with the PSD.

So generally it's a not so great of an idea to run some Seafoam in the crankcase?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl