Sheared bolts on fuel filter cover/shroud on 7.3 Powerstroke

FarmerCharlie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Today I decided to install a new fuel filter on my 2000 F350 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. In trying to remove the two bolts that attach the plastic partial cover over the filter, both bolts sheared. When I removed the cover, the bolts and the frame they were attached to were extremely rusty all the way down to the bracket. I'm not sure just what the cover is supposed to do, but I guess I should try to get it back on. The image shows the cover and both of the two sheared bolts. Will I have to replace the entire bracket, or should the remaining portions of the studs come loose from the bracket? I have doused both with penetrating oil, but they show no signs of coming loose.
View attachment 12893

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yer call.. :dunno

On my 7.3: The nuts corroded.. they broke off and the piece cracked, I replaced it all. Broke it again.. I [Chucked] it.

It serves No Useful Purpose.. other than an "Engine Enhancement" piece.

:dunno

Joe

FarmerCharlie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I`d leave it off, myself. Unless you just like the looks of it on there. Yer truck, As "BIG JOE" says "Yer call".
I think I will just leave it off. If it serves no useful purpose, then the cover should be happy spending its remaining days in my junk box.
The only purpose I could figure was to make it harder to get to the filter. :)

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I will just leave it off. If it serves no useful purpose, then the cover should be happy spending its remaining days in my junk box.
The only purpose I could figure was to make it harder to get to the filter. :)
That's what I decided after the 1st filter change! ;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58