shift rpms for 6 speeds

Lurch_F350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
HI All,

This is for all the guys with manuals. What sort of rpm do you normally shift at under normal driving. I have been shifting somewhere between about 1750 and 2000, depending.

Thanks.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Short shifting is the way I drove my 5 spd in the past. Reving it up is generally a waste of feul and makes a lot of noise.

Dave

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
If I'm going for economy, I shift at 2k except on the 3-4 shift(2-3 on the stupid knob) it's a little too wide for my taste and I take her up to around 2150.

If I'm in Extreme and I'm given her the oil, like accelerating to get on interstate, it's 3k easily.:D

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't paid any attention to the tach....when I first got the truck I shifted by the manual....10/20/30/40 mph, then changed to just getting the truck rolling in 1st because of a scratchy 1-2 shift. 6-8 mph and drop to idle before pulling it into 2nd gear. That's what I've stuck with and how I get the best fuel mileage....16 mpg. I don't look at the tach or speedo any more.

RPM-wise, all I've noticed is around 2050 @ 70 mph in OD and when I want to move out fast (like merging into traffic or goofing around), all but my 1-2 shifts are 2450-2600 rpm.

What I really enjoy about a manual is the smooth, seamless shifts that no automatic can ever get close to matching.:D

CoryNM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I usually shift around 1750-2000 as well. Unless of course I'm trying to merge onto the freeway and don't want to get behind someone...then I'll hit 3500 easily:eek:

Lurch_F350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys... sounds like I'm in the ballpark. This is the first time I've had a diesel with a man. gearbox and just wanted to make sure I wasn't short shifting too much or anything. "stupid knob" ain't that the truth. Why not just call it what it is 1st 2nd etc. Kinda leaves a guy scratchin' his head.

pdt1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was shifting at about 2000 RPMS and getting about 18 mpg. Lately I've been shifting at about 2600 RPMS. It makes the shifts a lot smoother for me, without using the clutch. And I don't usually use 1st (L). Lost a few mpgs though.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
pdt1081 said:
I was shifting at about 2000 RPMS and getting about 18 mpg. Lately I've been shifting at about 2600 RPMS. It makes the shifts a lot smoother for me, without using the clutch. And I don't usually use 1st (L). Lost a few mpgs though.
Just FYI, I've been told that "float" shifting a transmission that is equipped with syncros is not real good for them. You can burn up syncros prematurely doing that, if you don't do it properly.

If you float out of gear, then put pressure on the next gear detent until it goes in, your syncro is trying to match gear speeds that whole time, which means lots of friction and heat, since it cannot match the speeds, because it cannot overpower the momentum of the truck and engine.

The only way to do it is to be "spot on" every single time, where you float into neutral, then let the shifter go slack (ie, no pressure on the next gear) until the "sweet spot" then quickly shift it in. This minimizes the time the syncro slips on itself.

I usually float into neutral, then push the clutch in right at the "sweet spot" and engage the next gear, so that the shift is really smooth, and I do not risk my syncros.

Don't think I am telling you you are wrong to float the trans. I think it is cool that people still do this in an age of syncros. i used to do it al the time until a transmission guy I knew explained to me why it was a bad idea.

Of course, if i could get a ZF 6 sans syncros, I probably would, so then I could be lazy and float shift everywhere I go.

I thought i'd pass that along....

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
So I actualy paid attention last night, ref the shifting thing) when I left work... Temp was around 10 deg. so I usually go easy on the truck till she's warmed up... while this kind of cold I eased through the throttel and shifted around 1500 rpms + - 100..... Later 40 or so miles later while in stop and go, I would shoot up to about 18-1900 rpms. this is for every day go-jo driving... if I have to $hit and Git.... I'll take all the way to 3700 before the next gear...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14