Shimming the FPR 99-03 7.3

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or its a sign that you need a second fuel pump with your big arse injectors... I have mine shimmed to 70psi but can suck it down to about 60 at WOT...

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
Shimming

I have the Gillette spring in my shop. It ran 120. I call and they said it would calm down in a few days. It did and thats how I discovered they will run on less than 20psi. I have a rolling test bench and didn't want to be stuck with one setting. I used the DI reg. cap replacement. $10.00 in your mailbox. I coupled this with a adj. reg mounted on a alt. bolt. Now there is no limit.

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fitting Size

In an effort to gather all the parts before I get started, can anyone give me the size of the fitting I need to replace the brass plug on the back of the filter housing so I can run a pressure guage from there?

Any final tips before I get started?

Thanx

lifted_up

TractorMan
Reaction score
While you guys are still talking about it - Didn't I see on here one time , something about a California kit that Ford puts out for the FPR?

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe were did you order your Fuel Pressure Gauge? I am looking to order one for my B-Day present to myself. I was looking at one but it only reads to 30 PSI. The one that I was looking at reads to 70 PSI but it has to be mounted outside the cab. Unless you put on a Fuel Pressure Isolator. Just wondering if this the kit that you have. Don't want one that is liquid filled. Thanks for the help.

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to putting the gauge on the fuel filter bowl today, but I am a little confused.

Although the truck seems to be running fine, the gauge readings seem low.
Here they are:
680 RPM....30 PSI
1000 RPM...29 PSI
1500 RPM...29 PSI
2000 RPM...27-28 PSI
2500 RPM...25-26 PSI

I am holding off on shimming anything until I make sense of these numbers.

The vac gauge just prior to the fuel pump is reading only -5 at idle, so I don't think there's a problem between the tank and fuel pump.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
30 psi seems way low for idle fuel pressure,the engine should be in at least the 50's range stock.

Have you tried another gauge as I've had one that was indicating -10 psi accuracy.

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
Pressure

Your fuel pressure shold be the same weather idling or 3500rpm. You either have a weak pump or weak relief. I'd look at the regulator first. I had one last year come to me with low pressure and the housing was broken and all the valve pieces were in the fuel line. This one was sluggish to drive with 17psi.

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Due to a previously clogged tank screen (prior to the Hutch mod) I think the fuel pump may be weak and on borrowed time due to working so hard when the intake was restricted.

What is involved in looking at the regulator? All I am familiar with is the procedure for shimming the FPR.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58