Shimming the FPR 99-03 7.3

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Thats what I worry about is the injector O-rings leaking down with too much psi and it's no fun to R&R 8 injectors with a bad back.

black_cloud_stroker00

GO BIG RED!!!
Reaction score
went to pick up the supplies for the FPR shim and I swear, no one in the town has any #4 SS washers. Are #3 ss washers ok to use.

Also i was unable to find only a fuel pressure gauge. There are only sold in kit and I don't need that extra crap.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went to pick up the supplies for the FPR shim and I swear, no one in the town has any #4 SS washers. Are #3 ss washers ok to use.

Also i was unable to find only a fuel pressure gauge. There are only sold in kit and I don't need that extra crap.

What yer look'n for here is a good seat for the spring, a hole in the center so the FPR oriface has a clear shot to bleed down and return fuel. Radio Shack has'm or can get'm. JMO but #3s might not seat properly/stay seated properly.

Di-procol makes a good guage.

Joe

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
Fuel pressure

Ya, thats not a job I look forward doing. I want to step up to 200cc injectors so I better start talking myself into how fun it will be.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Joe,I noted the other day my psi was down to 64 from 68 so i changed the fuel filter and went with a higher tension spring which raised the psi to about 70.5 but the next day it's down to 65 psi?? You thinks fuel pump or should I shove another shim in it?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe,I noted the other day my psi was down to 64 from 68 so i changed the fuel filter and went with a higher tension spring which raised the psi to about 70.5 but the next day it's down to 65 psi?? You thinks fuel pump or should I shove another shim in it?

I'd just keep an eye on the gauge for awhile. Theres a lota slack in the API for Dezel Fuel. Good 'ol #2, ULSC #2, Winter blend, Some BIO, All BIO, where you bought it, where they got it and so on.

You just changed yer filter.. could be some air that has'nt purged. I just recently changed my pre-filter and saw some up & down pressures for a couple dayz.

Fluctuation, at speed or under load is what to watch for. (Fuel Pump)

black_cloud_stroker00

GO BIG RED!!!
Reaction score
I started the FPR mod today, got the gauge in fine and got a baseline reading of 58psi. Then i continued on, (having a couple close calls of dropping parts) i tried the put the shims in w/o filing them and no luck. Went to get a file, and guess what...one was not to be found. Had no choice but to reassemble the fuel line and try again later. Got it all together and fired the truck up and then the gauge read 100+ psi ( i even waited a few minutes). I R & R the line and then it read normal.

Any ideas why it was at 100psi?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Sounds like the spring might not be properly seated.

If you started with a baseline of 58 I'd install two washers to see where she goes but the most I've ever added to any truck was 3 shims.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58