Shop/garage layout

northshore

Northshore
Reaction score
thanks for the info on the panther lifts..went to the site and down loaded the installation manual... 4 1/2" concrete 3000lbs is required.
When your lifting your truck for the first time on that lift, how scary is getting that thing balanced and secured on the lift?

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
wasn't bad at all took it just off the floor and shook just to see what an earthquake would do was stable and with the rubber pads it will take quite a bit to fall offand my excursion actually weights more

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you place the lift arms there will be no problems with your truck falling off a 2 post lift.

The advantage of a 4 post lift is that you don't have to position the lifting arms each time.

Take a look in tire shops and dealers you'll find that they either have single post in ground lifts or they have two post lifts with one 4 post drive on lift other than the alignment rack. The single post in ground and the two posts are essentially the same in how they lift just if the arms come from the inside or the outside.

With our trucks you do need to be careful and aware that when the truck is empty that about 65% of the weight is on the nose. If you question your ability to balance the truck correctly then you lift the truck an inch or two off the ground then shake it by the back bumper as hard as you can before putting it up in the air (this is a good idea to do anyway)

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are so lucky. The wife and I have been looking at the lot next door to our house so that I can build a garage over there. Good luck finding lay outs or designs to help.

northshore

Northshore
Reaction score
Thanks Platinum, We bought 13 + acres and have plenty of room, to build the shop we want, but still the county makes a guy jump through plenty of hoops to get what you want. I know living in TX makes building and adding on alot easier, a lot less red tape and hoops to jump thru. I still haven't seen any good lay outs, or design "guidelines" for shops or garages... i was hoping for something along the lines of what they have for designing kitchens or what ever... you know like the whole triangle thing with the stove fridge and sink.... some guidelines that would cover things a guy wouldnt normally think about. Every time I go through this process I learn a few things To change on the next one, but im getting to the end of that road and want this last Shop to be as perfect as i can make it.

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As vast as the internet is, you wouldn't think that something as common as garage/workshop layout would be so difficult to find?? :dunno Anyway, don't know if this will help you out much, but here are a few links that I found. None of them are very specific, but you might catch a tip or good idea here and there. There are some "work triangle" tips on the DIYNetwork site, but they're for a woodworking shop. The principles may apply to a mechanic-type shop too, though. The "CrankshaftCoalition" site has a link for a cool idea on shop seating under "Benches". Check 'em out and see whatcha think. I have to confess, you're giving me one MEAN case of shop-envy! :hail Good luck! ;tu

Ultimate Woodshop -- Layout and Essential Tools : DIY Network

How To Set Up Your Motorcycle Workshop: Tips and Tricks for Building and Equipping Your Dream Workshop

Building a new shop - Crankshaft Coalition Wiki

Automotive Repair Manuals & Guides: Domestic & Import Car and Truck Care & Repair

Last edited:

northshore

Northshore
Reaction score
Empty, thanks for the response... .the crankshaft coalition was really helpful and got some things to check on with the guy pouring the slab, i appreciate the links.
I'll keep looking for more sites to help a guy with getting a shop built right for them. I'll pass them along when and if i find any good ones.. thanks again for the help

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58