Question Short bed and 5th wheel

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have a short bed truck now and I pulled the 5th wheel and runners, but I need to find a glider I think. Now my 5th wheel has a extended king pin box. Do I need the glider or not? The 5th wheel is a reese 16k.

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a short bed and fifth wheel. Just like you I have the extended pin. On a flat lot I jack-knifed the setup and it did not touch. Now when I went to park the trailer at my un-level parking area, the trailer kissed the rear window. The window lost.

So with all that, I do not have a slider hitch. Just take your time and be mindful of how close you can and are willing to have the two get close to one another.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
This is what I have clicky
Found it barely used on craigslist for around 1k. Made a custom setup to lock it in my B&W. Added 2 bolts in the back corners in addition to the large square pin to stabilize. Its great. Hook up and enjoy the ride :sweet

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hitch I had in my 2002 F-250 SWB (RBW) is not a slider and it worked fine. The only problem was when I had a tool box mounted above top of the bed (I later put in a tool box that didn't go above the top of the bed) and made a turn that pushed the box into the window (which lost). My 99 Dutchmen has the extended pin, and I had no other problems at all.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I have a short bed and fifth wheel with a 12" extended pin box. I also have a Reese slider that has only been used a couple of times in the past 9 or 10 years or so. Both times I have used it was for extra caution and probably could have gotten by without it.
With a longer (21") pin box, I think you can get by without a slider. You just need to be aware of your clearances and use a bit of caution.
Jim

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a short bed and fifth wheel with a 12" extended pin box. I also have a Reese slider that has only been used a couple of times in the past 9 or 10 years or so. Both times I have used it was for extra caution and probably could have gotten by without it.
With a longer (21") pin box, I think you can get by without a slider. You just need to be aware of your clearances and use a bit of caution.
Jim

On the pin box is the measurement from the center of the pin to the back of the box or front of box to the back of box?? I have a pin box on there now I'll have to check the box size.

thanks

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hit the jackpot. I got a new glider with 15k 5th wheel hitch and deck mounts for 200 bucks. Dang I'm happy. Now I can go camping....;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58