Question Slider or Non Slider Fifth wheel hitch

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to be purchasing a fifth wheel in the near future and I need to buy a hitch for my truck. I already have the rails in the truck because the previous owner towed a fifth wheel with the truck so I only need the head. I am wondering it is worth spending the money on a sliding hitch or should I just save the money and put air bags on the truck? The truck has the 6.75ft bed any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Rusty74

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If the rails are in the bed now I would look into a Reese slider otherwise you will be drilling more holes? I have the www.pullrite/superglide.com with the superrail mouting kit in my 08 and 01. The benifit to this hitch is you don't need to get out to adjust the hitch but the price high.

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
If the rails are in the bed now I would look into a Reese slider otherwise you will be drilling more holes? I have the www.pullrite/superglide.com with the superrail mouting kit in my 08 and 01. The benifit to this hitch is you don't need to get out to adjust the hitch but the price high.

The rails I have in that came in the truck are from a Husky brand hitch. I can buy a regular 16k hitch for about 425 and add that slide rails later if I need them or I can spend about 1000 for the hitch now. If you cant tell I am new to 5er's I guess I just dont want to waste the money on something that I may not need when I can save the money and put air bags on the back to a little more comfort when towing. I have looked at the auto slides and I cant justify 2k+ for a hitch right now.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Depending on which 5th wheel RV you get, there is a possibilty you can get by with a stationary, conventional hitch. Some campers have extended pin boxes and/or specially shaped front noses to allow a short bed truck to used a standard hitch.

There is a decent, inexpensive hitch made by RBW called the X-16. It is a double pivoting hitch rated for 16,000 lbs. Husky sells the same hitch with their decals on it. The same hitch is also available with a roller mechanism for a couple hundred bucks less than other roller/slider hitches.

I don't know where you are in da U.P., but there's good chance you're in my general area. I'm expecting to get a work call-back with-in the next 4 weeks or so after our Ishpeming store re-opens for the season. Send me a PM and we can talk more in detail.

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Depending on which 5th wheel RV you get, there is a possibilty you can get by with a stationary, conventional hitch. Some campers have extended pin boxes and/or specially shaped front noses to allow a short bed truck to used a standard hitch.

There is a decent, inexpensive hitch made by RBW called the X-16. It is a double pivoting hitch rated for 16,000 lbs. Husky sells the same hitch with their decals on it. The same hitch is also available with a roller mechanism for a couple hundred bucks less than other roller/slider hitches.

I don't know where you are in da U.P., but there's good chance you're in my general area. I'm expecting to get a work call-back with-in the next 4 weeks or so after our Ishpeming store re-opens for the season. Send me a PM and we can talk more in detail.

Thanks Kent, I am in Iron Mountain. I am actually looking at a trailer on your lot. I have to call gary and make an appointment to look at it I was supposed to call him last month to look at it but it was to friggin cold.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I have a short box also and I'm pulling a 26' fiver with the 12" extended pin box. I have used the slider once in the past 4 or 5 years and then I think I could have gotten by without it. You have to be extra careful not to let the trailer hit the cab but caution is in order any time you back a fiver up anyway.
I would go without the slider and see if you really need it or not.
Jim

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Thats kind of what I am thinking as well. The trailer I am looking at is a 1985 35ft Starcraft and I am not sure what size the pin box is. I am also used to getting vehicles that dont turn very well in and out of tight places so I think that I am going to go with the standard hitch and put a set of Firestone Ride Rites on the back for a little extra towing comfort.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Thanks Kent, I am in Iron Mountain. I am actually looking at a trailer on your lot. I have to call gary and make an appointment to look at it I was supposed to call him last month to look at it but it was to friggin cold.

Which one??

When I got layed-off last fall, there was a spare 5th wheel shop hitch back in the service dept. Seems to me, if we were to use your truck to "move that unit across the lot and back", we could throw that hitch briefly in the back of your truck and see how it works. :innocent:innocent

Just don't tell Gary. :sly:sly

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Which one??

When I got layed-off last fall, there was a spare 5th wheel shop hitch back in the service dept. Seems to me, if we were to use your truck to "move that unit across the lot and back", we could throw that hitch briefly in the back of your truck and see how it works. :innocent:innocent

Just don't tell Gary. :sly:sly

I am looking at the 87 35ft StarCraft that is there. I know nothing, I hear nothing, I see nothing.:innocent

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg