Question Slider or Non Slider Fifth wheel hitch

apextrans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yooper75,

I have a Reese 16K Quik Slide I'm looking to sell. It's 2.5 years old & in good shape. I sold my truck & left the rails in it but kept the 5er head & my Goose Plate (which I've never used). I'd like to sell them both or can split them up. I'd like 550.00 for both. PM if your interested or call me @443-340-8079. I can get you some pictures if your interested.

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
The pics of starcraft shows a short pin box, the trailers were pulled by long box trucks those days.. I towed 5th wheels with short bed GMs with no problems but would not tow with either Ford or Dodge Short boxes. They have Axle to cab distances 4 to 5 inches shorter then GMs so need of a slide hitches are more practicle. I never had a situation that the cab hit the trailer but I have seen many dodges with a cab repaired or dented. Those heavy 87 trailers might not allow an extension hitch because the frame might not be strong enough. I am in discussion with my RV manufacturer to give me instruction of repairs to my frame that is broken on my 5th wheel extension box. I think mine broke because my rear spring are so stiff that the channel is now broken allowing my pin box to move up and down, Thats why I now have a long box Ford. I did love the manuvebility of the shorter wheelbase. I feel that a heavy trailer should be equiped without an extension box, as I am not the only one with pin box problem with a heavy duty truck.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pics of starcraft shows a short pin box, the trailers were pulled by long box trucks those days.. I towed 5th wheels with short bed GMs with no problems but would not tow with either Ford or Dodge Short boxes. They have Axle to cab distances 4 to 5 inches shorter then GMs so need of a slide hitches are more practicle. I never had a situation that the cab hit the trailer but I have seen many dodges with a cab repaired or dented. Those heavy 87 trailers might not allow an extension hitch because the frame might not be strong enough. I am in discussion with my RV manufacturer to give me instruction of repairs to my frame that is broken on my 5th wheel extension box. I think mine broke because my rear spring are so stiff that the channel is now broken allowing my pin box to move up and down, Thats why I now have a long box Ford. I did love the manuvebility of the shorter wheelbase. I feel that a heavy trailer should be equiped without an extension box, as I am not the only one with pin box problem with a heavy duty truck.

off topic but related ?

I had similar broken weld issues with my 5r. Fixed it myself. Already had Ride-Rites on but bought a 5th Airborn, Air ride pin box. Has a Ride-Rite air bag and a Shock absorber in it...... MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE in the tow & ride, not to mention the WAY reduced shock & stress through the pin box, to the 5r frame.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58