Help Needed Slip Joint Greasing

JRJ04

Reaction score
Ok I'm confused as all getout here.

I wanted to grease the slipjoint on my truck and decided to just attempt to tackle it today. I for the life of me COULD NOT get this thing loose and I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong.

Where in the heck do you take the 4 U-Joint bolts loose? Do you take them loose where the driveshaft attaches to the rear differential like it is shown here:

Slip joint regreasing

or on the other end of the driveshaft near the carrier bearing like its shown here:

http://www.superdutydiesel.com/foru...ivetrain/22956-rear-diff-trans-problem-2.html

I removed the screws at the front part near the carrier bearing, removed the boot clamp...and that sucker would not move at all.

Am I doing this wrong? Which end of the driveshaft "drops down?"
Thanks in advance.

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Greasing slip shaft.....

You are taking the shaft out between the hanger bearing and the yolk on the differential. The slip joint is at the hanger bearing where you need to grease, but make sure you mark them or you'll get a nasty vibration.:watchout. If it won't move tap it lightly with a brass hammer so you don't damage the shaft.There is actually a special grease that Ford put out to grease that with too. I can't remember what it was sorry, I will tell you it's blue and high temp so wheel bearing grease will be good too.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I've got a grease fitting on mine.

I just use the bearing grease that's in the gun. Pump it in until the rubber bellows just starts to swell.

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Grease fittings....

Yea I don't think he's got a fitting on his or I hope not cause he's tearing it apart for no reason then :dizzy . My opinion is every front end and suspension component should be able to be greased for longevity, I spent a ton of money to be able to grease my truck from front to back. I actually got written up at the Ford dealer I used to work at because I was taking plugs out of ball joints and installing grease fittings on E-series and F-series :doh:. Go figure

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's Luck'a the Draw.. My nieghbor has a 2K, F-350 (gasser), it has a slip joint Zerk.. my 2K Dezel, don't :dunno

Joe

JRJ04

Reaction score
ok...so...do I remove the U-Joint bolts at the differential or at the hanger bearing?

Sorry for asking so much...this is just foreign to me.

And no, I unfortunantly dont have a grease fitting...theres no way id be taking this apart if i did lol.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
doesn't matter jr. just as long as you can take the drive shaft down enough for the slip yoke to slide apart. and yeah the u-joint will be stuck in the cradle, I got mine apart with that 3 foot pry bar and a little love tap.

JRJ04

Reaction score
well lets say i take apart the end on the differential...will that then pull out the whole u-joint on the other end of the driveshaft up next to the hanger?

I just dont want to break anything.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well lets say i take apart the end on the differential...will that then pull out the whole u-joint on the other end of the driveshaft up next to the hanger?

I just dont want to break anything.

Yes. The rear most U-joint (mark it first, like IHC sez), Drive shaft and Slip Joint will come down & out when you pull it toward the Dif, after you have smacked it loose from the Dif yoke.. put it all back together, lining it all back up with the mark you made on the U-joint.

Joe

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You will get a vibration if it is not put back in the correct orientation, like you took it apart.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14