Help Needed Slip Joint Greasing

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
i have come across this little tidbit of information....
this is on my list of 'to do's' here shortly as well...

as for the 'ford' grease - he says it is not available anymore that ford just goes to napa!!:doh::dunno
2004 F250

lots of good info. here - albeit a gasser

JRJ04

Reaction score
alright, ill give it a go again this afternoon...we shall see.

So i guess when i pull it loose from the back end, I'll be pulling out the entire driveshaft that goes into the carrier bearing?

Wish me luck...

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright, ill give it a go again this afternoon...we shall see.

So i guess when i pull it loose from the back end, I'll be pulling out the entire driveshaft that goes into the carrier bearing?

Wish me luck...

Yes. Once you get the u-joint loose from the Differential yoke.. Push the Whole thing forward.. just a bit.. then drop it down and Pull the Whole works out of the carrier bearing.

Remember !! MARK one side of the u-joint... for re-assembly

Joe

JRJ04

Reaction score
Finally got it done!

Wooo hooo! Finally got that booger out of there last night. Had to tap it a bit and then it just dropped and came right out! When I pulled the spline out it was LITERALLY dry...had almost no grease on it at all. Getting the spline lined back up was no problem, but man...getting the driveshaft back into the differential end was a task. That thing did not want to roll back in there. I was finally able to get it in with the help of a rubber mallot.

2 Questions I have now.

1. How can putting grease on this spline make such a difference? It just looks to me like this is where the driveshaft joins together, and theres not room for movement in there.

2. What other splines are like this on this truck that can be greased in this same manner? It looked like the carrier bearing could be greased as well. How would one go about this? What about the front driveshaft that goes from the t-case to the front axle?

Thanks again for all of your help!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wooo hooo! Finally got that booger out of there last night. Had to tap it a bit and then it just dropped and came right out! When I pulled the spline out it was LITERALLY dry...had almost no grease on it at all. Getting the spline lined back up was no problem, but man...getting the driveshaft back into the differential end was a task. That thing did not want to roll back in there. I was finally able to get it in with the help of a rubber mallot.

2 Questions I have now.

1. How can putting grease on this spline make such a difference? It just looks to me like this is where the driveshaft joins together, and theres not room for movement in there.

** That Spline type joint needs to move forward and backward a bit as the Dif moves up & down with the terrain, as the driveshaft turns. It also Loads & Un-loads with torque loads.. from throttle in-puts. Without Lubrication... it would be Metal on Metal.. would Wear beyond tolerances.. begin to "Clunk"... as it loads & unloads.

2. What other splines are like this on this truck that can be greased in this same manner? It looked like the carrier bearing could be greased as well. How would one go about this? What about the front driveshaft that goes from the t-case to the front axle?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Not being a FWD guy.. I'll defer the "other splines" to the those who are. The carrier bearing is a sealed unit.. no way of lubeing it, that I know of.

Joe

JRJ04

Reaction score
night and day difference. seems to take off much smoother and shift a bit smoother. Cant believe I hadnt done this a long time ago.

can anyone else shed any light on what other parts of the driveshaft can be greased? (front piece?)

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Greasing

The front driveshaft is the same basic set up as the rear except shorter. Take the shaft off the differential and remove the clamp, slide the slip joint apart and grease, reassemble and be sure to align the two halves. The front will not make a huge difference but might make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. :yahoo

JRJ04

Reaction score
could the carrier bearing be causing a funny noise to be coming from under the truck and vibration felt in the brake pedal? the noise sounds like a mud tire that is wearing out. Is this the carrier bearing or a wheel bearing starting to go out?

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Carrier Bearing

I have seen hanger bearings last pretty long and with the mileage you have it might be possible it's going south cause that's the noise it usually makes. As far as the wheel bearings, the noise wouldn't be coming from under the truck, also in most cases when you turn slightly the noise of a bad wheel bearing will change pitch. You can easily check them for play to find out. Dam expensive so I hope not. As far as a greasable hanger bearing, never seen one on a Superduty just long haul and anything over 26k lbs. You could probably drill and install a zerk fitting though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14