slip joint

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should the slip joint be greased? I just checked mine, dry and blueish substance on it. Looks factory(on splines) i just wd40 it all in there. MAybe this is my clunk? what do you lube it with? Are you supposed to? Mines dry big time dry

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd bet thats yer Clunk too. I had it at about 60K cuz I do alot of towing.

FWIW.. I use the Marine Grade (Blue stuff) bearing grease. I slather it on & in the splines real good. 135K on the meter.. I've re-greezed it twice.

The Marine grade grease seems to stay "Greasy" longer, doesn't dry up.

:dunno

Might also wana check the carrier bearing/bushing while ya have things apart ?

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this issue is on an 02 excursion, so no carrier bearing. i am giving this to my wife, i wanted to fix things first. i would not think a slip joint could clunk but you never know?
thx

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
be careful not to put grease such that it will prevent the shaft from compressing when the rear suspension is compressed or the shaft will come through the back of the t-case or damage the transmission.

only lubricate the sides of the splines (toyota put grease zerks on some and had many grease monkeys over pack the driveshaft breaking t-cases)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this issue is on an 02 excursion, so no carrier bearing. i am giving this to my wife, i wanted to fix things first. i would not think a slip joint could clunk but you never know?thx

My bust.. didn't know that.:sorry

Still stand by the Marine grade grease tho. as BJS sez don't over do it, but be liberal in covering all the spline surfaces.

It's surprising how many annoying drive train "Clunks" are simply.. Dry Splines.

On ANY car or truck, big or small

twt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem & the lube on the splines looked fine ???:confused:

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the wd40 stopped the clunk, I would of never thought of the slip joint. Thanks guys.
Now if i can stop the swaying Iwill be all set

JRJ04

Reaction score
is the slip joint i the drive line? I just wonder if a slip joint not being greased properly could cause some driveline vibration as well?

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, these driveshafts bolt to the trans rear and to the rear end. It has to slide somewhere to allow for suspension travel. I sprayed mine and its fixed. i will grease it but its good to know what it was.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58