slip joint

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the slip joint and carrier bearing 2 different things?

Just wanted to clear this one up...cause nothing has ever been greased under there before on mine and id like to get it done.

2 different things JR.

The Slip Joint allows the rear drive-shaft to "Articulate" (move) in & out as the rear-end moves up & down, with the terrain surfaces.

The Carrier Bearing supports the front (stub) drive-shaft.

They are basically, Part.. of the same assembly.. but serve 2 different purposes.

Joe

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the slip joint and carrier bearing 2 different things?

Just wanted to clear this one up...cause nothing has ever been greased under there before on mine and id like to get it done.

Yep. 2 different things...

The carrier bearing is hard-mounted to the truck and the driveshaft runs through it. The slip joint is a splined joint in the driveshaft covered by a rubber boot between the carrier bearing & the rear diff. Check out this write-up... The first pic of the driveshaft shows the slipjoint in the left foreground and the carrier bearing on the right. There is a U-joint in the sharft immediately after the carrier bearing.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jcray/04F250/pdfs/F250SlipYoke.pdf

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Yep. 2 different things...

The carrier bearing is hard-mounted to the truck and the driveshaft runs through it. The slip joint is a splined joint in the driveshaft covered by a rubber boot between the carrier bearing & the rear diff. Check out this write-up... The first pic of the driveshaft shows the slipjoint in the left foreground and the carrier bearing on the right. There is a U-joint in the sharft immediately after the carrier bearing.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jcray/04F250/pdfs/F250SlipYoke.pdf

I can't get the link to load up Vince. Is that the right link?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58