smaller mirrors vs bigger ones

hrc200x

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
As my search for a '02/3 crew cab 7.3 continues I notice different mirrors. Why are 1 tons that you'd guess would be pulling a trailer have the smaller mirrors? Also just came accross a picture of a dually with the small mirrors, can you even see past the dually fender with them?

Is one or the other mirrors an option? If you have the small can you convert?

JRJ04

Reaction score
It was indeed an option no matter which model you got (250/350 dually/srw)

you'll be able to see around the fender with the small ones, but id recommend the larger ones. they make the truck look better (which isnt functional, but a preference), and more importantly, you can see around and along the sides A LOT better.

If you find the right truck, but it doesnt have the mirrors, it wouldnt be a deal breaker for me. they are both interchangable and bolt right up.

happy searching!

hrc200x

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If it came with the small mirrors does it maybe mean that it doesn't have a tow package or isn't rated for as much weight?

A few more questions...

I see some with a turn switch for the 4wd engage, and others (not many) have the standard shifter on the floor. Whats the story there?

I am seeing a few manual tranny's out there, is there any problems with these, they good for 150k miles, or will the clutch need replacing at 70k? I'm sure there are lots of variables but what seems to be the average?

If you had to guess one major thing to break down what would it be? such as tranny, injectors, major front end work, etc? From searching ones for sale seems like tranny's are common, one truck was listed for sale with a dead cylinder, don't know if it was lack of compression or maybe injector bad.

I do like the strait front axle rather than IFS which is why I'm attempting to convert from a 90s chevy 6.5.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Direct bolt up with the mirrors. Mine has the small mirrors. They look ok but I want the tow mirrors. Mine are power mirrors so the power tow mirrors would be expensive. My search continues. They are on ebay or check a salvage yard.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also put the 08 mirrors on a 02 or 03and they sure look nice.

Doug

JRJ04

Reaction score
If it came with the small mirrors does it maybe mean that it doesn't have a tow package or isn't rated for as much weight?

No, not at all. These things come ready to tow, the mirrors are just an option.

A few more questions...

I see some with a turn switch for the 4wd engage, and others (not many) have the standard shifter on the floor. Whats the story there?

Option as well. The switch works, but its prone to problems with the vaccum lines losing suction, which leads to an inoperable 4WD system. I'm a fan of the manual one. If you can get it, go for it.

I am seeing a few manual tranny's out there, is there any problems with these, they good for 150k miles, or will the clutch need replacing at 70k? I'm sure there are lots of variables but what seems to be the average?

Manual tranny's are solid. If you plan on adding any hp, the clutch wont hold up, and I would say thats the weak point. Auto tranny's had their issues as well, but the key with them is maintenance...ive got 170k on my stock auto and its still in good shape.

If you had to guess one major thing to break down what would it be? such as tranny, injectors, major front end work, etc? From searching ones for sale seems like tranny's are common, one truck was listed for sale with a dead cylinder, don't know if it was lack of compression or maybe injector bad.

Same story with injectors as it is with tranny's...maintenance is the key. Make sure you get good clean fuel, change the filters often, and keep up with your oil changes. General rule of thumb is about 200k on injectors, although some have gone up to 500k. On the truck you are looking at, im guessing the dead cylinder is probably a bum injector.

I do like the strait front axle rather than IFS which is why I'm attempting to convert from a 90s chevy 6.5.

Good luck!

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I love the tow mirrors with the turn signals built in. Could I put them on even though my truck doesnt have the plug in for it? Would I have to splice the wires in to make them work?

hrc200x

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Here is the truck I'm looking at. 02 86k miles, manual tranny. 7.3. Small mirrors (darn), Looks pretty basic as in no power seats, no power peddles, Maybe chipped at one time? Notice the switch to the left of the steering wheel and a spot where a switch used to be to the right of the wheel. Looks like it has pillar gauges or atleast spots for them. Any thing look out of place or aftermarket under the hood?

I think they're asking $20K, it would be over $22 I'm sure after taxes and all that.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg