Smellin diesel??

Fireman

Resident Of Hicktown
Reaction score
Alright,
Filled the truck up @ BP. Headed towards Chillicothe ( roughly 30 odd miles away ). Well about half way there started smellin diesel in the cab. Well get to where I'm goin an I can smell it outside the truck too? Thought huh? Oh well. Well I go to leave an head home about 4 hrs later. Don't smell anything till almost back in town. So I get home an pop the hood ( not that I know what I'm lookin for lol ), well if ya face the engine the pulley wheel or whatever on the top left of sepatine belt kept startin an stoppin? Dunno if thats normal or not? But anyways, not to make this any longer than it has to be or is, anyone who can help or has an idea I would really appriciate it. Thanks again! Oh yea if it matters I was runnin my defrost the whole time too.

Black_Mamba

I'm a Window Licker!!
Reaction score
That little pulley thing would be your A/C compressor and it clicking on and off would be normal.:D Sorry had to mess w/ you. Now look into the middle of the engine from above it with a flashlight and see if you have fuel in the valley (the part between both head banks). There is your fuel filter housing sits right there. Sometimes the hoses or the fuel filter housing itself leaks. Could also be one of the fuel lines that go to the back of the heads leaking. All this would make it smell like diesel in the cab or even outside when not running. Do you see any fluids dripping on the ground from the back of the engine?

Fireman

Resident Of Hicktown
Reaction score
I'll check in the mornin. If it is that...an idea on cost to repair?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I will bet you a dollar that the O-ring in your fuel filter drain valve is bad. $1.00 part but an hour worth of cussing to get the silly thing changed. There is a recent thread about a "new tool" that might make the job a whole lot easier.

empiretc

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fireman said:
I'll check in the mornin. If it is that...an idea on cost to repair?

What Crumm & Mamba sez... Fer Shurr.

If you deside to >Have< it done (?), it'l be one of those 100+ dollar labor, to fix a 1 dollar part deals.

If you deside to DIY (?) I, (and i'm sure others) would be glad to gin up a step by step How To. I recently R & Rd mine so.... It aint no big thing... more of a PIA than anything else. Same thing if it's a fuel line.

:dunno

JOE

empiretc

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
O-rings are 1/2" OD, 1/4" ID, 1/8" material.

Danco #90 at Home Depot. $0.39 /each or $1.25 for 5 pieces.

There are two of them.

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I got my o-rings at Caterpillar. The Home Depot ones are not rated for diesel fuel and will only last about as long as the stock ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14