Snow Towing

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
I'll be heading from So Cal to Morrison, Co on Dec 10th. I'll have a 18' car trailer with a jeep on it and some other stuff in the bed of the truck. I anticipate the total load to be no more than 8000, with 6K being the Jeep and trailer. Truck is '06 CC, 4x4, long bed, dually, tow boss.

I'm no stranger to snow driving, but this is my first diesel, and also my first time towing in the snow (if we even hit snow).

I know the back ends gets loose in the dirt with a trailer, so I expect this will require chains on the rear truck tires sooner than on a gasser?

what about front chains? I've never needed them before.

I think I should also chain one axle on the trailer? Both axles have brakes, so I'm not sure if both should be chained to prevent one locking up and sliding causing a load shift to the second chained axle, in turn causing it to lock up??

I'm thinking outloud on some of this, but any insight from people that ACTUALLY tow in the snow would be appreciated. no "web snow towers" please ;)

Thanks,
Peter

:usa

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man if its that bad i wouldnt even RISK it...pull over and wait it
out...professional drivers do it...so should you.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
bushpilot said:
man if its that bad i wouldnt even RISK it...pull over and wait it
out...professional drivers do it...so should you.

thats a big 10-4 driver,

my balls ain't that big to go wreckin' in a one horse PSD :roflmao :roflmao

Last edited:

Elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What they said. I've never seen anyone chain a trailer. Having a set of chains is not a bad idea, they are often required (at least for comercial) on the passes. However, if you haven't towed in icy conditions it could be dicey. One thing to note is they take icy roads very serious here. The passes get closed frequently, but they are seldom closed for more than a few hours. Best just to pull over until they are clear.
Tell me about your jeep and your plans in Morrison! :D

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Ditto what Elk said. I've towed once in the snow, with a buddy's DRW. The snow wasn't too bad, but I was still nervous as it wasn't my truck. Just took it nice and SLOW, kept PLENTY of distance between me and the guy in front of me, and wasn't in a hurry. Never felt the need to pull over and wait it out, but there was only 4" on the ground.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
if i absolutely, positively, had to get out in the white stuff :freezing (dont get much in north alabama these days :roflmao ) i would at least lowerr the tire pressure to around 20 or so to make a bigger foot print in the snow for more traction.

aanndd ggoo vveerryy, vveerryy, sssssssloooooooow!!!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
best thing you can do, is pull over and wait it out if it's icy. What's the worst that's gonna hapen, you're holed up in a Hooters for a day?

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
Elk said:
What they said. I've never seen anyone chain a trailer.

take a look under most of the semi trailers in the winter time, those things swinging around down there are tire chains. They might not use 'em much, but they use em, at least here in Ca in the "mountain towns" like Mammoth and Big Bear.

Elk said:
Tell me about your jeep and your plans in Morrison! :D

I'm not talking about driving through a blizzard, I'm just thinking if there's some ice/snow on the ground before the plow goes through or if it's snowing as we pull into town. Like I said earlier, I'm no stranger to snow driving. I've been on everything from black ice to 3 foot deep powder breaking trail and doing off highway vehicle recoveries. I've just never towed in the snow. If the roads are open we will be motoring through, if they close them on us, we will have to wait it out. Only time will tell on that.

I'm not bringing "my jeep" to CO this trip. I'm helping a buddy move from Vegas to Morrison, where another buddy is putting him up till he finds a house he likes.

my toys:

1962 Willys (last year on the Rubicon Trail)

my rock buggy (2000)

my street queen
1970 Jeepster

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
puttin chains on a trailer doesn't make any cents to me, seeing how they do not "drive"

you put chains on the drive axles to increase traction, right? because they are whats moving the truck and pullin the trailer.

and you put chains on the steers to gain traction for turns, because whats behind the truck is following the steer axle.

i can't see where chains on the trailer would help any at all, but hey, i live in alabama and wont have to worry about it.

sounds like since you have done alot of snow & ice drivin, you are more qualified than the rest of us to answer your own question. :dunno

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
the reasons I see for chaining the trailer are braking and side sliding. Unfortunately on a typical "car trailer" like I have, there is not enough fender clearance for "real chains", only cables. Cables have no real "side bite" so only braking will be enhanced.

I guess I'll carry chains and chain up the front axle on the trailer since thats where the weight bias will be under braking.

I'm just basing all this on info I found on the net (so its got to be true ;) ) and general reasoning. I was hoping for hands on experience from someone...I still got a few weeks, hopefully someone will chime in thats actually done it before.

Thanks for all the reply so for though :thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58