Snow Towing

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
Well, I guess we'll never know how it worked out. I broke my heel and will not be going:( I'm on the couch for 6-8weeks. I can't even keep it down long enough to hop a plane and meet them up there, it swells up and tries to bust out of my cast. :nono:

I will post when/if I get to snow tow in the furutre and let y'all know how it worked out.

PSD

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Yellowsub1962 said:
Well, I guess we'll never know how it worked out. I broke my heel and will not be going:( I'm on the couch for 6-8weeks. I can't even keep it down long enough to hop a plane and meet them up there, it swells up and tries to bust out of my cast. :nono:

I will post when/if I get to snow tow in the furutre and let y'all know how it worked out.

PSD

:eek: :(

oh man peter, thats a bummer. hope you get better soon.

look at it this way, now you have plenty of time to just sit back and stay on SDD.com all day! :sweet :thumbs :D :)

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Yellowsub1962 said:
Well, I guess we'll never know how it worked out. I broke my heel and will not be going:( I'm on the couch for 6-8weeks. PSD

Man that sucks!!!!

My sweety broke hers back around 22 Sept had surgery about 29 Sept. She is a plate and about 6 screws the richer for the experience. She was able to go back to work doing light duty stuff about 20 Nov and was just cleared for full weight bearing as tolerable a week ago. She is still weaning herself off the crutches and will likely take another month to do so.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Well, I HAVE seen guys chain trailers. Up here in the blustery North, when the passes have snow on them 6 months out of the year, commerce would shut down if no one towed in the snow. I do it all the time. It really isn't a big deal. I've spent a lot of hours towing big stuff in icy, snowy, and blowy conditions.

My setup requires me to have good traction tires, 4 wheel drive, and possibly chains on one axle of the trailer for braking (but only when it is REALLY bad). If you don't have chains on the trailer, turn the trailer brakes down so that they don't lock up easily. You are going to be going SLOW anyway, right??? If I put chains on the truck, it is ALWAYS all four when towing. You can't afford to have your rears break loose on you when you have a trailer.

The main thing to remeber is that if you think you are going slow enough, half it and go that fast. If 30 feels comfortable, go 15 or 20.

And don't sweat it. YOu gotta understand that these Texican's lives shut down when the white stuff flies. :roflmao We've had snow on the road for 2 weeks straight over here. I haven't even put my truck in 4x4 yet!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Yellowsub1962 said:

PSD

Sorry to hear that Peter, I hope you heal up fast.

97CREWCABPSD

Smoke What Smoke Officer?
Reaction score
chain the truck and chain atleast one axle on the trailer take it easy and backk off the eletric brake controller

Scot

;()
Reaction score
This info may be useless now, (injured one) but here it is anyway. I tow daily rain/shine/blizzard, doesn't matter - I need to work when the work is available. I've been out in a fresh 12" and I honestly don't change much. Just slow down, plan early & give yourself some space. Things you should be doing when towing any time :D

I would suggest:

T/H mode off - T/H can downshift and cause the rear of the truck to slide w/o warning:eek: :eek:

Keep as much weight on the tongue/5th/goose as possible, this will give you maximum traction on the rear axle.

I would NOT back off the trailer brakes much as someone else suggested. I keep mine on high enough to lock a tire or 2 when braking. If you back off too much you'll have nothing but the trucks ABS stopping power which can take a long time. You don't want your truck stopping 16K alone.

Now: that's my plan for snow. SNOW PACK, ICE is another story. When I run into either on level ground I'll keep going at a steady pace providing there aren't too many idiots around me. & when I hit either on any kind of hill or pitched road I would say what so many other already have. "JUST GET OFF THE ROAD" It's not worth the risk to you or your equipment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58