spaghetti, no more (new amp rack installed)

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
The intall looks very nice and clean :sweet

My question is what is the purpose of three amps in the cab of a truck? You supply the tunes for the local event arena? Does all that power make the sound more clear? I don't know a thing about souped up stereo systems other than the ones that pull up next to me rattling my windows are irritating. I cannot imagine all that racket being good on your ears. I am half deaf from running equipment but to bring it on intentionally confuses me....... Kids and there toys :innocent

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any location where there are large amounts of fabric, padding, and foam directly in front of the sub is going to be less than ideal...but the reality is that there isn't really a better solution in our trucks. Us extended cab guys are even more out of luck.

Last edited:

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score

My question is what is the purpose of three amps in the cab of a truck? You supply the tunes for the local event arena? Does all that power make the sound more clear? I don't know a thing about souped up stereo systems other than the ones that pull up next to me rattling my windows are irritating. I cannot imagine all that racket being good on your ears. I am half deaf from running equipment but to bring it on intentionally confuses me....... Kids and there toys :innocent

Hey Crumm, I use to be one of those "kids" that thumped everyone's windows at the red lights.

Its better to have one amp pushing each type of speaker. One amp for the high's, one amp for the mids, and one amp for the subs.

Your sound is better and you can "tune" each set of notes better that way. You can tune even more with an electronic cross-over.

Now keep in mind, the last time I had a thumpin stereo was in 1994, so I'm sure its nothing like it used to be, but should be the same concept.

I had around 1500 watts of power across 12 diff. speakers and you could play Mozart and it sounded awesome.

Damage to your hearing is a drawback, but you dont think about that when your're 18 years old.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my Z28 with 4 12's, I had them mounted in my box so they would HIT right off the back glass.

I was always under the impression (especially in a pick-up) that if the subs were right up against the back seat, like your's is bush, they bass would push alittle harder?

to some degree, but when the speaker is limited in its motion then
it wont sound as good and youll restrict the "range" as well.

in subs...its all about being able to move the air !

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

for 1 its about cleanlyness for me...it doesnt have to be LOUD to sound
good. as for the number of amps...it has more to do w/ the number of
channels being driven than the total volume.

and fwiw at the lower volume levels you need a bit more adjustment
(sub needs to be a bit louder so you can hear it...and then it gets
turned down when the volume/power increases).

as i said...it doesnt have to be LOUD (unless you want it to be)...you
could easily do MORE damage w/ a set of ear-bud head phones.

as for the toys....your right...but this aint no slide in camper either ;) :lmao

Reaction score
They dont really hit the seats that much cause the 99-03 have a void behind the seat. The wood blocks are to keep the metal rod off the speakers.

What yer talking about with yer camaro is reflective bass. Reflective bass is a great thing for making it sound loud but there is no where to mount speakers in these trucks to have reflective bass.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
low frequency (sub woofers) are non-directional...so REFLECTING the
bass has little benefit .

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
you can get a HUGE increase or decrease from your subs just by the angle or REFLECTIVE bass tunning. the sub cones are thinner than the box and they move, that is throwing more sound waves in one direction. refections from in your box as well as outside your box can be tuned for greater sounding bass.

just pull your box and face it to the back of the seat, then turn it so its facing up. you'll hear a diffrence. i could almost double my sub output in my bronco by facing the subs to the back instead of to the front. the bass rolled in the truck and flexed the windows. the tuning was perfect.

550roofer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. I had a hatchback years ago. when i pointed the subs towards the rear it was at least twice as loud inside!

in my truck i pointed the subs up to start, but it wasn't very loud, then i pointed them towards the front window. this was so loud quarters would bounce on my sun roof!

a simple explanation of what i've heard around the block
-a sub produces sound waves, which are loudest at a certain distance from point of origin. when the subs face backwards the bass hits the rear glass and then goes to the driver. if the box is 18" (recomended distance) from the rear, it is traveling 3 feet extra before hitting driver. this can easily be tested. also test to see if it gets louder like 5-10 feet away. *i think all the glass in a hatchback helps make it louder mostly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64