Spare hanger broke, spare is gone!

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh ohhh

Mr. Shelton, I have what may be some bad news for ya. As a Deputy Sheriff I've taken reports on spare tire thefts over the years. Everyone of them sounds like your story.

What happens is that the bad guys knock off the plate at the end of the cable holding the tire. (I haven't looked at mine lately but I seem to remember Fords are just a roll pin holding the thing together)
The tire then drops (hopefully on to the **** head thief..) but this takes the load off the steel cable, which then "boings" back into the reel housing into a big snarl. Guys naturally assume the darn thing broke and then on some have taken it apart, finding all the loose cable inside the housing. Thats why you dont see any on visual inspection.

A couple have had the cable cut above the tire, I think they didnt have the little locks on the receptacle so the bad guys cranked it down a couple turns and then cut it. But it was obvious it was cut as opposed to worn/frayed. As anyone who has tried it knows, those type cables can be a beyatch to cut unless ya have the special cable cutter, then it's like butter.....

I hope you aren't the vic of some *****hole thief, but if so it may be easier to get the replacement outta your insurance rather than Ford.:dunno

Either way, Good Luck!

Mike

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
The tire was there from the factory..
OK STOP.
I seen it under there when I installed my 5th wheel hitch. I
right there it's not Ford's baby. OVER A YEAR AGO?!?!?! You know better. And if you don't, you ought to. That's why the service writer blew you off on the first visit.

Like Mike said.. it got stolen.
call your insurance company.

Sorry, Dude.. :sorry

-edited to be less harsh to original post/member

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be a >One in a Million< chance for a Spare to come loose, un-reel and simply fall off.. without hearing or feeling Something.

But if it did happen that way.. no one was injured, no property damage to you, or anyone else.... Ford and the Police are going to look at it.. the same way. An Isolated Incident. (after not being seen or checked in a year)

*It was Stolen. Thieves are slick about their bidness.

Time to get another tire & wheel, re-reeve the winch thingy (with some more theft resistant cable ?), and maybe take a step or two to make it harder to steal... next time... and get on with it ?

:dunno

*I'd betcha they lowered the spare, cut the cable..up close to the winch and Slithered away, in less than 2 minutes.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
How do they just lower the cable? Mine has a "key" that goes on the end of the crank so this can't happen? Is this lock system only in Canada?

you can grab part of the shaft and turn it by hand... you could lower the whole spare like this if you needed to, but you'd be there a while.. like "pack a lunch and take a nap" awhile...

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do they just lower the cable? Mine has a "key" that goes on the end of the crank so this can't happen? Is this lock system only in Canada?

To the Low-end types that go 'round steal'n stuff.. that "Key" Is.. defeat-able... with the right "tool" :sly

Joe

I found that out .. when I couldn't find my "Key" once.

I'm get' a Whif of something too.... Maybe ? :watchout

Last edited:

1Wild Bill

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Spare Hanger Broke?

I had a spare stolen. But they took the time to lower it with the winch. Probably happened at home but didn't notice until coming out after work. I don't usually walk around before each drive and usually don't look at the spare for weeks on end. So, it's possible to overlook the spare (or missing one).

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this Post (?).. I gota say: I do kinda catch myself eyeball'n between the Bumper & V-gate.. at my Spare, nowadayz though..... ;):D:):lmao

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14