Spare hanger broke, spare is gone!

GShelton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get this story out to the public for a couple of reasons. First, so the world knows what I am currently going through with Ford. Second, to find out if anyone else has had this issue. And lastly, as a warning to all other Super Duty (and maybe other truck) owners to make sure to check this.

I recently purchased a backup camera to install on my 2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty. When I crawled under the rear to begin the installation, I found my spare tire missing. The winch for the spare is there, but there is no cable, no saddle, no tire. There is not even a little bit of cable sticking down. (I felt that had the tire been stolen, there would have been some cable sticking down.)

I took the truck to my local Ford dealership. (This is the one I use when needed. They are the ones that do my oil change and any other warranty work that is required if I am not traveling.) When I told the service advisor about my issue, almost immediately told me it would not be covered under warranty. They did not look at the truck at this point. I told her I was not going to let this go and I needed to know how to move on. She gave me the 800 number to Ford Customer Care. (Or the 1-800 who cares number as I like to call it.)

My first call into Customer Care was about 20 minutes after I left the dealership (11-19-2009) and I spoke with a very nice lady who told me that the parts may be covered under warranty, but the truck would need to be diagnosed by my local dealer. She said she logged it in the computer for the dealership.

I called back to the dealer and they told me I could bring it in right then and they would look at it. I returned to the dealer and they did put it up on the lift and look at it. They did not however do anything more than a visual inspection that returned the results of, "The tire is not there and we can not see the cable." This is what I told them to begin with. They did state that there was evidence of the tire being there at some point as there was rub marks underneath from where the tire was mounted. I was then told I would need to call back into the Customer Care line as they could not determine it was a faulty unit. (Nor did they determine it was not.)

I called into the Customer Care line as I was returning home and explained it all again. Customer Care told me I would need to return to my selling dealer. (90 miles from where I now live.) When I asked why I needed to return to that dealer, I was told it was so they could determine if the tire had been installed at the factory. When I explained that this had already been determined by the local dealer and I did not wish to drive 180 miles to have them state the same thing, she no longer had anything to help me with. I asked to speak to someone higher up as I was not going to let this die. I was told she was it. She actually said to me, "Sir, you are talking to Ford!" I then explained that I wanted to talk to someone higher up IN Ford. She told me her supervisor had no additional resources and that it would not change anything. I explained to her that I would take this all the way to the CEO of Ford if I needed to. She put me on hold, came back and explained that all the supervisors were currently busy and I could wait or have them call me back. I chose the call back.

A supervisor called me today (11-20-2009) about 3pm. I explained the situation again (3rd time) and told her I felt I was being treated unfairly. I felt that no one was taking the initiative to actual diagnose the issue. I explained that not only was I upset the tire was missing, but that if this is an issue, someone could be killed. A dually tire is not light and if it came out at road speed, someone could easy have been killed. She then said that I would have noticed it. I don't think that is true. As big as this truck is, as rough as it rides, I don't think I would have noticed anything. She put me on hold and called the local dealer again. They said they were willing to pull the winch down and open it up to see if they could determine what the issue was. (They will likely charge me a diagnostic fee however.) She also made a comment that if it was defective, they would replace the hanger, but not likely the tire. My comment to that is what if my leaf springs fail and my axle falls out? Will they cover the springs and not the axle?

So at this point I am awaiting a time to go back to the dealership again to get it diagnosed.

So that is the story to this point. Anyone else lose a tire on a Super Duty? I would also like this to be a warning for you all to drop the tire occasionally and check the condition of the cable. I only have 30K miles on the truck. Also, for the record, I seen the spare when the truck had 1200 miles on it as I was under the truck to install the 5th wheel hitch. The last time that I "know" the tire was under there was August of 2008 when I had the truck at a dealership in Augusta, GA. and had nitrogen put in the tires. I requested that the spare also be done. I would imagine (if they actually did the spare) that they would have told me it was not there. So it disappeared in the last year.

Please let me know if anyone has had this issue. This could turn into a safety recall!

Scot

;()
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the winch. Can you see where the cable should be? The dealer should easily be able to open it up and tell if it was cut (stolen) or the cable totally came off the winch (defect). If I were Ford I would want to know about this issue.

In the other hand, think about how many people never consider the possibility of a stolen spare? Then take the truck to the dealer expecting replacement. Spare theft is common. Especially with a $200 tire!

Good luck, Let us know what you find.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'd think if it was stolen, there's be a clipped cable visible..
I've only ever seen one break, but I know all manufacturers run secondary latches on their saddles now for that very reason...

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
... My cable broke the 2nd day I had the truck. (btw used with 40K) Fortunately for me it happened in my own drive way. I was in the process of teaching myself how to remove the tire, I put the crank in the hole gave about a 1/8 of a turn then the tire fell off, cable had snapped. Now the real mystery is... how could some one join this site 2 and a half years ago and this is their 1st post.....

GShelton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Now the real mystery is... how could some one join this site 2 and a half years ago and this is their 1st post.....

I do A LOT of reading and research on the internet. I am a firm believer in the use of the search button. I figure it is true that almost always, my questions have already been asked. As a forum admin for my car club, it annoys me when the same questions are asked again and again with no use of the search feature. I register so that I may download the attachments to see photos posted with the info. ;)

I also visit often enough to keep my account from becoming inactive and getting deleted. ;)

Scot said:
In the other hand, think about how many people never consider the possibility of a stolen spare? Then take the truck to the dealer expecting replacement. Spare theft is common. Especially with a $200 tire!

I did consider theft. In fact it was the first thought I had. But I truly think it would have been darn near impossible without lowering the tire at least a little and there should be some cable showing at that point.

GShelton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I wanted to make something clear here. I will say that some of this is about getting the parts replaced, but the most important thing here is that I want Ford to admit this might be a problem and a safety concern. This is what has really ticked me off about this is that the first thing out of their mouth was not "Oh my! I hope no one was hurt!" Instead, it was an instant, "Oh, that is not going to be covered under warranty!"

I think I am going to file a complaint with The Office of Defects Investigation at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Someone needs to look into this BEFORE someone is hurt or killed.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
ask to look at the dealer file (not the service history)..
see if there is a transportation claim against the spare..
if there is, and they did nothing about it, it's on the dealer (what I suspect)
if not, as far as all are going to be concerned, you drove it off the lot with a spare under it, so it's your baby.
That's why they ask you to walk around the vehicle before you sign the papers.

GShelton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ask to look at the dealer file (not the service history)..
see if there is a transportation claim against the spare..
if there is, and they did nothing about it, it's on the dealer (what I suspect)
if not, as far as all are going to be concerned, you drove it off the lot with a spare under it, so it's your baby.
That's why they ask you to walk around the vehicle before you sign the papers.

The tire was there from the factory. I seen it under there when I installed my 5th wheel hitch. I would bet it was there a year ago when I had the nitrogen put in the tires at a dealership and requested it be done to the spare too.

superdub01

SDD USMC/Wyotech
Reaction score
i dont want to seem like a jerk, and add insult to injury at all, however thats why "PERIODIC MAINTENANCE" is called just that, and shouldn't be overlooked. last seeing your spare "a year ago" when SOMEONE ELSE did the maintenance is not acceptable for me. any time i do even minor maintenance to my truck, i take a half hour or so (since im already dirty) just to lay under it and look for problems. iv found a leaking brake line, loose U-joint strap (after i had a new tranny put in), and multiple small problems that could have caused a whole mess of problems in my future. again, not that it helps your problem...just constructive criticism. Anyway, good luck with your ventures with Ford.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont want to seem like a jerk, and add insult to injury at all, however thats why "PERIODIC MAINTENANCE" is called just that, and shouldn't be overlooked. last seeing your spare "a year ago" when SOMEONE ELSE did the maintenance is not acceptable for me. any time i do even minor maintenance to my truck, i take a half hour or so (since im already dirty) just to lay under it and look for problems. iv found a leaking brake line, loose U-joint strap (after i had a new tranny put in), and multiple small problems that could have caused a whole mess of problems in my future. again, not that it helps your problem...just constructive criticism. Anyway, good luck with your ventures with Ford.

X2 ;tu

'bout once a month I do a "Walk Around" (light check).... then a "Roll Around".... underneath.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14