Speed

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be a silly kind question, but i'm ricky bobby and i like to go fast.

I like to race people. Just on the street, no tracks. Something I've noticed is that i have mad acceleration (WOO SMOKE) but my truck lacks top end speed. I try not to push my truck past 1300* on the pyro becuase I was advised not to (is that accurate??)...so I usually have to back off by like 80 mph. Which doesn't make for a real competitive race, if it goes that far on the street.

First off, how can i achieve more top end? Is my problem the 4.56 gearing? I know the lift and the tires aren't helping my speed (DUH..) but I recently lost a race against a Duramax who had 37's similar to my tire size and probably accelerated to 100 mph. I backed off at 85 but that's the fastest i've ever taken it. didn't wanna break nothin.

I know these trucks aren't exactly made for speed, but I've seen some pretty nasty ones. And I'd like to get mine there. Just a step at a time.

I'm interested in HPOP, injector, and rear end upgrades. And when (if) my engine goes, the Black Mamba 500HP/900 TQ crate engine.

Dear Santa...
99-02 7.3L FORD POWERSTROKE 500HP+ CRATE MOTOR -

Any advice would be great. Trying to get a good idea on how it all works.

Last edited:

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
what kinda rpm's are you turning at 85 mph? if you're high in the rpm's you might be running out of oil to fire the injectors, the high pressure hpop may help. For sure you wanna go bigger with the injectors, with diesels, the fuel is what makes boost, and the boost makes power. If you go bigger on injectors, hpop is a must, then you may outrun the fuel pump, then you may need more air, then a beefier bottom end...........

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Our trucks do have a "governed" speed... not sure where the stop point is though. Per the State patrol... 137 was my top end.... That was with a programmer that removed the Speed limiter.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
first thing I see by looking at your sig.. you need to open up the exhaust
(would probably help with egt's too)

Last edited:

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check for boost leaks...silicone boots like to leak when boost gets higher..i see he has a RBP 6" exhaust listed in his sig... is it 6 inch or a 5 inch with a six inch tip?? what size down pipe? got a muffler?.. it sounds like you may be running out of oil in the higher RPM's..a set of hybrids will help out there...if your stock HPOP is healthy then a bigger pump wont be needed but it will give you a little more power...

he is running a DP tuner so the speed limit is not restricted

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm think'n the 4:56's, even with the 38's, is the root of it all.

It's guna rev quik, to all there is... once thru the top gear (?)
.. thats all there is.. as far as MPH ?

1300* EGT ? Just remember.. Aluminum (pistons) can start to do weird things (morf) at about 1250...

Joe

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Early 99 stroker: I'm not sure about the downpipe, but the exhaust is 5" straight piped, no muffler, with a 6" tip.

Bigrigr: i'll check the RPM's at 85 when I return from Texas. It's pretty high though. Just remembering off the top of my head...65 mph is where I hit 2000 RPM's. Thoughts?

Big Joe: that's basically correct. It revs quick. Gets to speed quickly, I've seen 25-30 lbs of boost with no load, but I keep a good eye on that pyro while I'm racin and I rarely ever go past it...because I know one race isn't worth the repair time. Or money.

Hypothetically...what would happen if I changed my gear ratio? From the research I've done, it seems like each one has it's trade-offs. More power/less top end/towing performance...less power/more top end/better mileage... What's the actually logic behind it?

Does my gear ratio affect how much stress is put on the trans? For instance, would changing my gears to 4.10 put more stress on my trans, as opposed to m current setup with 4.56's with the 38's?? Just tryin to grasp the concept :dunno

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

1. Hypothetically...what would happen if I changed my gear ratio? From the research I've done, it seems like each one has it's trade-offs. More power/less top end/towing performance...less power/more top end/better mileage... What's the actually logic behind it?

2. Does my gear ratio affect how much stress is put on the trans? For instance, would changing my gears to 4.10 put more stress on my trans, as opposed to m current setup with 4.56's with the 38's?? Just tryin to grasp the concept :dunno

(1) You've Hypothetically answered your own question ? ;)

One counters the other. Finding the Ratio that is a Sweet Spot we can live with.. is the Quest we all seems to have. Boils down to: Money we wana spend.. to get there ?

(2) Yes. Part/Fact of that Quest is: There's point (trade off) where we can/will Over stress All the (stock) drive-train components. Again.. we're back to the.. Money verses, our Need ?

:dunno

Joe

;) I took my Ricky Racer hat off Years Ago.. But I DO enjoy showing, or at the very least.. Embarrassing.. thee occasional Ricer, D-max or Ram... that 9000 lbd Dually, w/5r hitch in the back... driven by some 'Ol Grey Haired Dude.. Can Scoot. :sly;):D

(Many.. Back Off... should anyone see them have'n trouble Keep'n Up... or win'n :lmao)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg