Speed

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
To add a little to BigJoe's comments above, the gear ratios ditrectly effect the way it drives (eg speed, and low end power for towing) There are formulas available to figure out the best ratio for you're needs, but you have to decide where most of you're time is going to be spent. Trucks are meant to haul, n tow. Not race. but that don't mean you can't spank the occasional honda now n then. You're gears are probably near perfect for that size tire, meaning they may get you back to near stock performance with oversize tires. Now it should "perform" like a stock height truck,with stock tires, but still look cool. But trying to make a mustang outta a vehicle meant to move heavy loads around, will spend more money than just buying the mustang. Imo

SuperDuty99&01

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
OK. I feel as though I must add my two cents worth. The programmer or tune you choose may also affect you top end from experience. Prior to the purchase of my second 7.3 SuperDuty I. Bought a hypertech Max energy tuner for my 2001. I already had full 4" Turbo back exhaust and AEM BRUTE FORCE air intake. So I tuned it on Max setting recalibrated for the 285-75-16 t ires, and 96mph was top end. Granted it didn't take it long to get there. I did some research on Diablo Sport Predator and liked some of its features a lot better. I can upload custom tunes, adjust tranny line pressure the list goes on and on. Now I'm not sure what top end is but its way over 100mph and still under 300 rpm. Pulling hard. Oh and I'm running 410 gears with little 285's.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be a silly kind question, but i'm ricky bobby and i like to go fast.

I like to race people. Just on the street, no tracks. Something I've noticed is that i have mad acceleration (WOO SMOKE) but my truck lacks top end speed. I try not to push my truck past 1300* on the pyro becuase I was advised not to (is that accurate??)...so I usually have to back off by like 80 mph. Which doesn't make for a real competitive race, if it goes that far on the street.

First off, how can i achieve more top end? Is my problem the 4.56 gearing? I know the lift and the tires aren't helping my speed (DUH..) but I recently lost a race against a Duramax who had 37's similar to my tire size and probably accelerated to 100 mph. I backed off at 85 but that's the fastest i've ever taken it. didn't wanna break nothin.

I know these trucks aren't exactly made for speed, but I've seen some pretty nasty ones. And I'd like to get mine there. Just a step at a time.

I'm interested in HPOP, injector, and rear end upgrades. And when (if) my engine goes, the Black Mamba 500HP/900 TQ crate engine.

Dear Santa...
99-02 7.3L FORD POWERSTROKE 500HP+ CRATE MOTOR -

Any advice would be great. Trying to get a good idea on how it all works.

You need to push the go peddle to the floor and not lift until your done.

IH says we can go 1250* all day without hurting a thing, thats there stand point.

You have to relise that altho AL melts at 1250*, your pistons are NOT at that temp when your EGT's are. You have boundry air around the pistons which are cooler, you have piston cooling jets spraying the bottom of the pistons with oil and fresh cool air coming in every stroke.

If your racing, you can hold 1600*+ for 30-40 seconds without harm.

Its sustained temps that are dangerious.

YouTube - 50# with water on Turbonetics BB

This is a rather old video when I was running smaller injectors and a much smaller turbo, but watch the EGT's...

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow great info guys. THANKS! I'll keep it all in mind since I got an official invite to race that guy again. Now that I know I can push it a little more, I'll let em have it!

CSIPSD, from your sig it looks like you got a pretty nasty setup goin on. I watched the vid but it was a little shakey (and I have kinda low res on my comp). How do you like that water injection? From the little bit of looking into it that I've done, that's primarily to lower EGT's, right?
-i looked into the SNOW performance stage 2/3 water injection becuase that kit was only a few hundred bucks (opposed to a few thousand like other mods). Opinions?

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer cooling mist water injection kits, better pumps, better controlers, better injectors...

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gotcha. next question:

i was told before that engaging hubs for 4 wheel drive in the front should NOT be done on hard surfaces like blacktop. I know people race in 4x4 HI, so did I hear a myth?

I'm not gunna hurt anything if i lock the hubs in and do some practice launches, am i??

THAT WOULD SUCK.

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can keep the hubs locked in year round if you want..it wont hurt a thing but your MPG...mine stay locked all winter long unless I'm going on a long trip...you don't want to pull the transfer case in 4x4 on dry black top and take turns..that's when chit breaks..if your going in a strait line and not making any turns (like drag racing) you will be fine too use 4x4 on dry black top...just put the transfer case back to 2 wheel at the end of the run while your still going in a strait line...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58